Don't Judge a Book By its Cover

Have a question about the X's and O's? Ask it here.

Moderators: MINI14GB, Grizfan-24

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:36 am

Now that my spring sports season has concluded, I can now again focus football again.

Mostly about Mick Delaney his interim status and the future of Grizzly football.

http://monidasports.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... cover.html

Per usual, feel free to comment.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

MissoulaMarinerFan

Re: Don't Judge a Book By its Cover

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Sun May 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Good breakdown as usual GF-24 - but, whether we like it or not, the head coach will ALWAYS be the "whipping boy" for the problems going on with the program. That's just the way it is, fair or not. I think a lot of the complaints probably stem from the (from the fans point of view - fair or not) perceived "inept coaching"...and a lot of that blame usually goes to the head man. If he stays for a couple years after this one, and has a couple winning records and at least 1 playoff appearance, I'm pretty sure last year will be forgotten about pretty quick. However, if the struggles remain, you can bet your ass the complaints will be voiced loud and clear. I'm not speaking for myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:04 pm

MMF,

I completely understand the obsession over the head coach. I know as the head man he is the face to the program.

I guess I truly believe is blame him for what he truly needs to be blamed for. The game mismanagement stuff does fall on his shoulders and for that he needs to face the music. There is so much though, residual anger over the past year, two years, ten years over how the UofM has handled everything from hirings, firings and everything else in between, that Mick is bearing a lot of that when he shouldn't have to.

But I do agree if the program doesn't produce results the Delaney should begin to wear much of that responsibility. Though from what I know and from what I heard, I can at least make a solid guess is that he and his program will put out a better product than a year ago.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Sun May 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Totally agree with you. I feel the exact same, was just pointing out that the anger, etc, while not deserved will more often than not be placed in the HC's lap, regardless of who they may be.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:33 am

I think it is a fan tradition, and one in which I used to engage in, to engage in acts of paranoia. I think it is so easy to lash out. You are entirely right though the coach must answer for all the bad of the program whether it is rightly deserved or not.

I have mentioned this many times over the years, but absurdity that many Griz fans engaged in the in Miller/Edwards/Neill era in regards to their play really opened my eyes. I listened to people on one hand complain about Miller's statue like frame in the pocket and cheered when he was hurt, and extolled the virtues of the more mobile Edwards and how he was the next coming of DD. Then in the end of Edwards career, people openly postulated that he was only hte starting quarterback because of the huge amounts of money his father had. Neill was given the shaft because of it.

Before I moved away about 10 years ago, I would spend a lot of time with about four or five guys who were much senior to me in age and discussed all sorts of elements of Grizzly football while consuming varying amounts of quantities of adult beverages at an adult drinking establishment in Missoula. All of which had excellent connections to varying people within the athletic department. What struck me about those conversations, is to a few of them, it didn't matter the overwehleming evidence they either were going to love something or hate something about the football program just purely on conjecture alone. They had made up their mind even before the evidence was on the table. That is where I first heard the conspiracies regarding Edwards, Dennison, Hauck. Like everything else there is a thread of truth in some of those conspiracies, just as there is with Delaney.

There is merit to the argument that Delaney was in over his head last year. He deserves to wear last years dissapointment. He'll continue to wear last years failures until fans recognize that changes for the better have been made.
--Ron Burgandy

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Tue May 28, 2013 11:38 am

Word, totally hear ya GF-24 - being a former collegiate level athlete, football games, baseball games, beer-league softball games - I was ultra competitive (even just watching my favorite teams), and would just get all worked up over things that I had no control over. Once I realized that, I quit taking the games, and myself so serious, and found that I enjoyed them more. Sports politics on all levels and fandom are a crazy, crazy thing. Seems to me the only consistent thing the last 20 or so years of Griz football, with the exception of DD and maybe Craig Ochs, the most popular player always called for...the backup qb. The more things change.....I for one am looking forward to seeing how the Griz have improved as a whole, both the team, and the coaches. Here's to a great season! :gogriz: :catssuck:

Return to “The Chalk Board”