5 Reasons why I would close practice

Have a question about the X's and O's? Ask it here.

Moderators: MINI14GB, Grizfan-24

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:23 am

A blog on the angst over Delaney's closing of practice to social media and what not.

Key points:
5 key thoughts on why I support the decision to close practice.

http://monidasports.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... ctice.html
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:07 am

Agree with what you're saying - also, about the Hauck wing t, I'm pretty sure all he did was just close practice all week. Nobody even knew about it.

SEC schools are starting to close practice too, just to cut down on distractions - I would argue however that it's interesting to me that this wasn't an issue until a losing season popped up. Facebook has been around since 2005 (for everyone), Twitter since 2008 (becoming everyday "popular") ; and Egriz stuff (read as fairly "in-depth" reports) since about 2007ish.

It's also not like these players have no clue what any of these things are either. Everybody knows that coaches yell, holler, etc, and I'm pretty sure this hasn't been an issue for the griz (videos getting out). Don't forget the players now know more about this "new-fangled" technology than the coaches. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the practices being closed, but with all the stuff that's gone on at the University this year, this just smacks of over-reaction - instead, why not have an "open" practice once per week or so (maybe that's what they're doing now. I dunno.) ?

Grizfan-24

Re: 5 Reasons why I would close practice

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:24 am

MMF,

I agree. I think as much as anything it is a bit of an over reaction to all that happened.

The other thing that sticks in my craw is that I cannot let go, is that for many look at this coaching staff as the keystone cops. That is my own issue. I was going to write a blog about some of the greater coaching blunders in Grizzly history to echo that it just wasn't Delaney that made mistakes, but I just haven't had the time.

I am not a blind supporter of Delaney and recognize that he made a ton of mistakes as a coach last year. As I have heard from some it was allowing too much trust in coaches that he shouldn't have. I don't have great sources, but those who I talked to over my trip to Montana, all said the same thing.

There just are just so many variables at play in coaching a college program and to be honest if you can tighten up your practices and decrease distractions, I think it is a good thing.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

Return to “The Chalk Board”