A Challenge

Have a question about the X's and O's? Ask it here.

Moderators: MINI14GB, Grizfan-24

Grizfan-24

A Challenge

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:06 am

A challenge for Griz fans, or any fans of any team for that matter:

An attempt to end the 'terrible' coaching narrative within Grizzly-ville.

http://monidasports.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... ative.html
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

#1GRIZ

Re: A Challenge

Postby #1GRIZ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:54 am

Coaching isn't to blame when our corners line up 11 yards off the ball and give up 7 everytime they throw it? You would think they would tell the db to sneak up some so we don't give them 1st down everytime. Coaching also runs plays the same expecting different results and going 3 and out a lot. You are saying this coaching staf is perfect and that is not close to being true.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 pm

#1GRIZ wrote:Coaching isn't to blame when our corners line up 11 yards off the ball and give up 7 everytime they throw it? You would think they would tell the db to sneak up some so we don't give them 1st down everytime. Coaching also runs plays the same expecting different results and going 3 and out a lot. You are saying this coaching staf is perfect and that is not close to being true.

I didn't say the coaches were perfect, in fact there is a great deal that needs to improve. but rather I simply want to evolve from every damn thing that goes wrong in a game is a reflection of terrible coaching.

Moreover, what I would rather have is this: why do coaches have their corners at 11? What does it suggest about scheme and ability? Why don't they press?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:24 pm

When we pressed they didnt get much at all, its when we backed off they took it to us. I know you cant press all day with WRs like theirs but I would have done more of it especially on 2nd and 3rd down.

I also just got done editing video I shot and I counted AT LEAST 17 missed tackles in that game by Montana. I would bet money I am low on that number. Its amazing the amount of times we missed on first contact. Needs to improve
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Alpha:

Agreed.

Tackling needs to improve. Our secondary while improved is going to be exposed against teams with superior receiving corps. To a man their primary four receivers were vastly superior to our four defensive backs. I liked the nickel package that was there on Saturday. What it came down to honestly that we had multiple chances to turn them over, take advantage of Adams penchant for locking on to Kupp and throwing into triple coverage.

The press technique issue could be debated much like the chicken or the egg. I wouldn't press eastern much, mostly because of what happened on the 80 yarder. The potential for that is so much higher. When you zero out your coverage, JP getting exposed on a vertical seam route increases exponentially. You better get home.

You can press and still get run off on hitches. More imporantly if you are running corner halves, and your backers aren't getting under the hitch is another story altogether. On Saturday, that happened about as many times as our corners getting beat on the 9 yard hitch, especially to the short side of the field. A tactical decision, which incidentally led to Adams throwing into what he thought was single coverage but in reality was throwing into double. You could tell that in some ways Gregorak had a bead on what Adams liked to do in certain situations.

At the same point and the criticism in the past two years seems to rear its ugly head again: Open field tackling. We have athletes, but they struggle making athletic plays in space.
--Ron Burgandy

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 pm

I agree with you on getting beat deep or a LB getting trashed on a seam route, my point is I would press and rough these guys up off the line and roll a safety for over the top help. I know that weakens you in other areas but I hate when team that can only throw the ball are allowed to only throw the ball I would rather lose with big plays while my defense was dictating the pace than lose sitting back and getting picked apart.

I still have trouble believing that our secondary is as bad as it seems to be.

I have never seen a football team like our go the entire year with every team we face taking everything they want and walking out with 500 yards of offense and a W. Even Weber and ISU can occasionally shut a team down every once and awhile.

This to me screams scheme and not talent.
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:28 pm

I have made this point in a few blogs:

I don't think the 4-3 scheme that we run and our front seven is very good against spread. When we get inside the twenties, the scheme is much more stout, but in the open field to be honest it is going to give up a ton of space.

You have to be willing to split coverages and dispense with the true two high safety deal. Saturday was as much about execution as any game I have seen from gregoraks defense since he was there. He had guys in the places they needed to be. This is why I am a solidly 4-2-5 guy and a split coverage guy against spread.

Last year, so much of it seemed that we are going to stay in two high safety and won't maneuver from it. Spread just abuses teams that are in true two high safety because you can't bring the type of pressure you want without exposing either a corner to a 15 hitch or to scramble drill.
--Ron Burgandy

GRIZNATION

Postby GRIZNATION » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:58 am

I appreciate what you are doing with this Grizfan24. I don't want to sound like a suck up but you do a great service to Griz fans everywhere with your ability to enlighten us that are not on your level of understanding. I applaud you for making the attempt to make people better fans and have better attitudes about the game and players. Well played sir.
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 am

Nation,

Thanks. Most people who have been reading my blog for a while, probably are very aware of my general antipathy towards ignorance. While I know that a vast majority of the people who post on egriz are just trolls who say and do things to get people fired up, but the fact that people either aren't willing or can't stand up and say 'you are full of crap,' gets my goat.

Way too many of my blogs have been so reflexively knee jerk responses against the idiots of message boards, and those people have gotten under my skin to be honest, and I just need to reset my goals and objectives as what I would like to accomplish. Thus the purpose of the last blog.

I really want this place to be something more than my own. I would like it to be a place that is a compendium of resources and people who are willing to blog and write on similar topics. Just hasn't progressed to that level I guess, but I would like to get to that point. Because frankly I just can't stand ignorance.

Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

GF24
--Ron Burgandy

MissoulaMarinerFan

A Challenge

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:25 pm

GF-24 - I've been a fan your work for quite awhile, and I have to say I've become a "smarter" fan by reading your stuff. I wouldn't call myself an expert, because I only played football on the pee-wee level for one year waaay back in 4th grade, but just from reading your stuff, before I complain about what I see, I try to think of it objectively first - i.e. Player x just got beat by player y - first thing I do is analyze whether it was just a good superior athletic play, then I look at scheme - did player x just get outschemed (good play call by offense), etc, etc.

I attended the Belgrade v Whitefish playoff game, and I honestly wished that I just went to the game with earplugs on. For example, the first half Belgrade ran a bunch of running plays/option keepers to the qb, and it was getting 4/5 yards at a time, and folks were griping about that being all Belgrade was doing, and EVERYONE could see it coming...well, guess what? Second half, almost every play ran from that particular set was Play action, and was a big factor of Belgrade winning the game. Granted, not every play action was succesful, but it WAS successful in giving the Belgrade qb time to pass nearly every time because the D was keyed in on seeing that formation equal "run". Finally, I'm sure you can guess what the fans were saying in the stands..."See! It worked! We should have been doing that the whole time!" Nevermind that it was working because what they did in the first half. *face-palm* Anyway, thanks again, as always for all you do GF-24.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

MMF,

Yeah. Funny stuff. I absolutely love listening to high school parents and fans when I am not involved. So hard not to get caught up in how simple things seem in games. Doesn't take much for even the most simple fan to pick up on some tendency and latch on to those like a blood sucking leech.

Not sure I wouldn't make it through most of my own games if it weren't the fact that I have a double can head set on while in the booth. That and I have the hearing of an 80 who spent his lifetime working under a jet engine.

I've spent a lot of years working with coaches who know one or two things really well but don't know anything thing else. So in some ways, some coaches aren't a lot different than fans either.
I know what I 'like' as a coach, both offensively and defensively, and I know full well if I ever was able to enact it in a gameplan people might wonder if I am on heavy drugs.

Thanks again for the kind comments.
--Ron Burgandy

Return to “The Chalk Board”