NAU moving away from the Flex Defense

Have a question about the X's and O's? Ask it here.

Moderators: MINI14GB, Grizfan-24

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 pm

GF24, heard this before the season started and then read about it in the article in the Missoulian today but it seems as Jerome has moved away from the flex defense. Do you know or have a guess as to if they wil be running a 3-4 or 4-3?

I would probably pick the 3-4 since I think it would be easier to transition to from a flex?

Thoughts?
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Grizfan-24

Re: NAU moving away from the Flex Defense

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 am

Geez, I completely forgot that I had a response to this post six months ago and completely forgot to post the blog about it. In response my general neglect, I will use it as my first mailbag question. Hopefully in the next week or two.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 pm

here is my response. Rather long.

Mostly focuses on why teams are forced to move away from the spread.
The next installment will focus on why teams might be better moving to a 40 front than a 3 or odd man front against spread teams.

http://monidasports.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... pread.html
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

Holy hell gf-24...brain....full....well done sir! It'll probably take me 2/3 more reads to digest everything! :notworthy:

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Here is my issue.

I never know if what I am writing makes sense to people.

Just out of curiousity, did you understand what I was trying to communicate?

I am sensitive to it, because I really don't want to come off as overly techinical know-it-all. If I am not clear...and I mean ever, please let me know.

My college prof once said to me, you have incredible command of the material, but you have the ability to communicate it in writing of a sixth grader.
--Ron Burgandy

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Thu May 30, 2013 5:16 pm

GF-24 it makes sense....it's just a lot to put all together, especially since the only football I played was until 5th grade, when all the big kids became faster than me...and at 55ish pounds, that hurt...a lot. Like I said, everything makes sense, just a lot to digest, with all the diagrams, etc.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:44 pm

MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:GF-24 it makes sense....it's just a lot to put all together, especially since the only football I played was until 5th grade, when all the big kids became faster than me...and at 55ish pounds, that hurt...a lot. Like I said, everything makes sense, just a lot to digest, with all the diagrams, etc.

I think in the future I might make the blogs much shorter and discuss in shorter segments. My problem is a I need a damn editor. I get overwhelmed by technology in that there are better ways to present my material, but it is way too much.

What is funny is that I was never much of a football player either. Just started coaching and it stuck. Not my most native sport.
--Ron Burgandy

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Yeah see, my thing was that, I had hands like glue, and okay top end speed - I was probably one of the faster guys on our team, but it just took me about 10 yards or so to get up to full speed - which, unless you're a big-framed wr/te, isn't a good thing, especially when you're the smallest guy on the field...I bounced back up after every hit, but like I said, I finished up 5th grade, and didn't think I'd be out-quicking the big fellas any time soon.

GRIZNATION

Postby GRIZNATION » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:55 am

Grizfan24, it takes me a few reads to grasp what you are writing but it is very informative for a guy that didn't play much football. I think you do a superb job of relaying information to a guy like me and I am very appreciative for your efforts.
:thumbsup:
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

GRIZNATION wrote:Grizfan24, it takes me a few reads to grasp what you are writing but it is very informative for a guy that didn't play much football. I think you do a superb job of relaying information to a guy like me and I am very appreciative for your efforts.
:thumbsup:

+1. Ditto here! :thumbsup:

Return to “The Chalk Board”