Same Problems

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

MAROON ALERT!

Same Problems

Postby MAROON ALERT! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:23 pm

This is the third year in a row where we have no kicker, the secondary is sketchy and we may have some depth problems on DL and LB. If you know this is a problem year after year why not fix on of these areas and not recruit so many WR's? Griz special teams is not good lets get it turned around.

StoneColdGriz

Re: Same Problems

Postby StoneColdGriz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:23 am

The kicker problem is not forgivable. We lost some games last year because we have no kicker and went for it on fourth down way more than we should have. Right now we have scholarships being used by players that don't play and really shouldn't be playing D1 ball.
Austin 3:16
Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 am

I'm cautiously optimistic about LBs and the secondary. Oline and kicker worries me the most, although I see glimmers of hope with kicker stemming from spring ball... haven't seen that yet with the O-line, esp with the presumed loss of Schmaing for the season.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 am

BWahlberg wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic about LBs and the secondary. Oline and kicker worries me the most, although I see glimmers of hope with kicker stemming from spring ball... haven't seen that yet with the O-line, esp with the presumed loss of Schmaing for the season.

Brint:

If you feel that way about the kicking situation, then you should've backed up Rimrock's post on E-Griz earlier. Rimrock points out two weaknesses about the Griz position grades(TE and PK) and he got called a cynical poster. Brint, you're usually pretty objective about your view on the Griz strengths and weaknesses. Don't let Raider or PR sway your opinion.

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:22 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
BWahlberg wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic about LBs and the secondary. Oline and kicker worries me the most, although I see glimmers of hope with kicker stemming from spring ball... haven't seen that yet with the O-line, esp with the presumed loss of Schmaing for the season.

Brint:

If you feel that way about the kicking situation, then you should've backed up Rimrock's post on E-Griz earlier. Rimrock points out two weaknesses about the Griz position grades(TE and PK) and he got called a cynical poster. Brint, you're usually pretty objective about your view on the Griz strengths and weaknesses. Don't let Raider or PR sway your opinion.

He said make the kicker a D- grade. I don't agree with that. Just because it makes me nervous it doesn't mean it's absolute junk - but just not having a consistent kicking game has been a key factor in many losses going back to 2012 and moving forward. Which I've also pointed out. The grade I gave was for all of special teams. Individually I'd probably say D+ to C- for kicker and B= for punter.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:55 pm

BWahlberg wrote:
CV Griz Fan wrote:

Brint:

He said make the kicker a D- grade. I don't agree with that. Just because it makes me nervous it doesn't mean it's absolute junk - but just not having a consistent kicking game has been a key factor in many losses going back to 2012 and moving forward. Which I've also pointed out. The grade I gave was for all of special teams. Individually I'd probably say D+ to C- for kicker and B= for punter.

Fair enough explanation but the PK certainly had a role in the loss to CC and in other games. Rimrock was totally right on with his assessment of the field goal kicking last year IMO. It certainly did change the game planning for the Griz in the red zone. In any event, my point is that Rimrock is not necessarily a negative poster for pointing out the Griz PK problems and giving them a poor grade.

StoneColdGriz

Postby StoneColdGriz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:19 pm

CV I agree with everything you wrote, the fg kicking has been horrid the last 3-4 years and no amount of sugarcoating can disprove that. It needs to be addressed or UM needs to find somebody that will.
Austin 3:16
Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
BWahlberg wrote:
CV Griz Fan wrote:

Brint:

Fair enough explanation but the PK certainly had a role in the loss to CC and in other games. Rimrock was totally right on with his assessment of the field goal kicking last year IMO. It certainly did change the game planning for the Griz in the red zone. In any event, my point is that Rimrock is not necessarily a negative poster for pointing out the Griz PK problems and giving them a poor grade.

CV, you are right on the money. But you should know by now that being objective is labeled as being negative, or a "bad fan" by the "popular posters" who rule the board over there. That's exactly why I'm banned, because I expose their sugar-coating, and they can't handle it. They will try to say I was banned for "threatening posters", yet they can not produce a single post of mine to support that allegation, I guess my banning must have been caused by the anti-Griz video, and not the Sugar-Coating Taliban from esugar.com.

Our FG kicking was an "D-" last season. It cost us in several games, and I can not remember a worse FG team from UM in my 45 years of following Grizzly football. Don't expect Brinty to be honest about grading Griz players. It might compromise his abilty to get "insider info".
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”