Fall Practice

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

GRIZNATION

Fall Practice

Postby GRIZNATION » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 am

I went to the practice yesterday for a little while and thought I would jot down some thoughts and maybe it can turn into a discussion.

Offense
JJ looks a lot more comfortable this year but one thing I noticed is he seems a little hesitant to get rid of the ball at times, he locks in on a receiver and waits before releasing the ball almost a half pump fake. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing him do that as often in years past. He is throwing darts this fall and if there was ever a more accurate QB in Wa Griz I never saw them in practice or games. Smithwick-Hawn is our back up and we are in real trouble if JJ gets hurt, he is the same as last year, serviceable but really hasn't improved that much. I think he was the one that threw an INT to Schye that was returned for a TD.

Van looks great, he is as dynamic a player we have had in the backfield. Looks much stronger and he is evil in the slot. DB can't match up with his athleticism and speed. Nguyen is going to be special, he can plow over people and still has a great juke step he can be a great change of pace.

Ralston at TE looks the part but plays with no confidence and looks confused at times. He did some good things but it looked thought out instead of instinctual.

The new OL kid is a beast, he seems strong and at home at center. He has good footwork but is a little slow. Number one thing about him is his hands, he keeps defenders off him and dictates the play, he can move some people when he gets low. If he can pick up some speed he can be great for this line. Like his attitude and motor.

Defense
Schye, Gamboa and McKinley were the 3 players that stood out the most on defense. These guys are flying around making plays and have speed. The thing I noticed the most about them is the tackling ability, when they get their hands on the offensive player they go down. not a lot of arm tackles being broken yesterday.

If I can get to another practice I will watch the defense more closely and maybe have some more comments. Will try to get out of work again and check out that side of the ball more closely.
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Re: Fall Practice

Postby growler » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 pm

GRIZNATION wrote:I went to the practice yesterday for a little while and thought I would jot down some thoughts and maybe it can turn into a discussion.

Offense
JJ looks a lot more comfortable this year but one thing I noticed is he seems a little hesitant to get rid of the ball at times, he locks in on a receiver and waits before releasing the ball almost a half pump fake. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing him do that as often in years past. He is throwing darts this fall and if there was ever a more accurate QB in Wa Griz I never saw them in practice or games. Smithwick-Hawn is our back up and we are in real trouble if JJ gets hurt, he is the same as last year, serviceable but really hasn't improved that much. I think he was the one that threw an INT to Schye that was returned for a TD.

Van looks great, he is as dynamic a player we have had in the backfield. Looks much stronger and he is evil in the slot. DB can't match up with his athleticism and speed. Nguyen is going to be special, he can plow over people and still has a great juke step he can be a great change of pace.

Ralston at TE looks the part but plays with no confidence and looks confused at times. He did some good things but it looked thought out instead of instinctual.

The new OL kid is a beast, he seems strong and at home at center. He has good footwork but is a little slow. Number one thing about him is his hands, he keeps defenders off him and dictates the play, he can move some people when he gets low. If he can pick up some speed he can be great for this line. Like his attitude and motor.

Defense
Schye, Gamboa and McKinley were the 3 players that stood out the most on defense. These guys are flying around making plays and have speed. The thing I noticed the most about them is the tackling ability, when they get their hands on the offensive player they go down. not a lot of arm tackles being broken yesterday.

If I can get to another practice I will watch the defense more closely and maybe have some more comments. Will try to get out of work again and check out that side of the ball more closely.

Very accurate points, and I agree with all of them. McKinley is from my home town in Arizona, and I discussed him with one of his high school assistant coaches a few months ago. He is a great kid and very athletic. This coach thinks we got a steal in signing him. He had several FBS schools interested in him, and had two offers from second tier FBS schools, but honored his commitment to the Griz. He will be a good one for Montana as a DB.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:51 pm

GRIZNATION wrote:I went to the practice yesterday for a little while and thought I would jot down some thoughts and maybe it can turn into a discussion.

Offense

Defense

This is the best I've ever seen from JJ, the guy is dialed in, and even with the WR injuries leading to mix and match groups, he doesn't miss a beat. It's awesome.

Schye is going to start pushing Kose I think, he was looking great today again.

JR Nelson is playing the best out of all the corners, so far, I think.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Our DBs this season will be improved over last season. I was never a fan of "Chirf", and think he was highly overrated. He made some plays alright, but got schooled routinely too, and was frequently out-of-position. He gambled too much trying to make the big play, and we paid the price on many occasions. No way he was a shut-down corner, as some labeled him.

My fear in defending the passing game has more to do with Gregorak and his scheme, and not the quality of the D-backs. Apparently Ty learned little from coaching under Breske.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”