Will we have a better season this year?

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Will we have a better season this year?

Postby growler » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Esugar has a lengthy thread discussing the upcoming season, and whether we will have a better or worse season than in 2013. While we are all optimistic about the coming season, I still have to bring you a reality check about our prospects.

There are four huge negatives which will probably keep us from winning more than 7-8 games. They are:

1) Coaching staff
2) O-Line
3) FG kicking game
4) Extremely tough road schedule

Comments?
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

CV Griz Fan

Re: Will we have a better season this year?

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:18 pm

growler wrote:Esugar has a lengthy thread discussing the upcoming season, and whether we will have a better or worse season than in 2013. While we are all optimistic about the coming season, I still have to bring you a reality check about our prospects.

There are four huge negatives which will probably keep us from winning more than 7-8 games. They are:

1) Coaching staff
2) O-Line
3) FG kicking game

Comments?

All four points are legit but the schedule is the key. Last year's schedule was a cupcake compared to this year, especially the out of conference road games at Wyo and NDSU. The Griz should do okay in conference games IMO. Make know mistake, the EWU game will be a difficult test. I predict a 9-3 or 8-4 type season with losses to Wyo, NDSU, EWU and maybe a loss to CPSLO, Sac or SUU. The Griz maybe lose one of those three games at the most. I will throw in the the back 7 on D as a potential risk factor also. The untested LBs could be good but they could struggle too.

growler

Postby growler » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:57 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
growler wrote:Esugar has a lengthy thread discussing the upcoming season, and whether we will have a better or worse season than in 2013. While we are all optimistic about the coming season, I still have to bring you a reality check about our prospects.

1) Coaching staff
2) O-Line
3) FG kicking game

Comments?

All four points are legit but the schedule is the key. Last year's schedule was a cupcake compared to this year, especially the out of conference road games at Wyo and NDSU. The Griz should do okay in conference games IMO. Make know mistake, the EWU game will be a difficult test. I predict a 9-3 or 8-4 type season with losses to Wyo, NDSU, EWU and maybe a loss to CPSLO, Sac or SUU. The Griz maybe lose one of those three games at the most. I will throw in the the back 7 on D as a potential risk factor also. The untested LBs could be good but they could struggle too.

Good observations. I think winning 8 games is about the best we can hope for. Don't underestimate the importance of a weak O-Line. IMO, our line will be the weakest it has been in many many years.

cclarkblues

Postby cclarkblues » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:33 am

Depends on how you define better season. If you go by just the record, I would say probably not , we got pretty lucky at times to go 10-3. If we are able to overcome early bumps caused by inexperience and begin to play cohesively as a team, maybe. That would probably include winning against one of the big 3 we play on the road. and show the ability to put the hammer down on the teams we should beat. This would include not spotting the opponent several TDs so we are not always playing from behind. It didn't seem to me that last year all the parts were working together at one time very often, so if they can pull it together by the end of the season I would consider it a successful season. There is talent there, but it needs to be channeled on each game day.

growler

Postby growler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:12 am

cclarkblues wrote:Depends on how you define better season. If you go by just the record, I would say probably not , we got pretty lucky at times to go 10-3. If we are able to overcome early bumps caused by inexperience and begin to play cohesively as a team, maybe. That would probably include winning against one of the big 3 we play on the road. and show the ability to put the hammer down on the teams we should beat. This would include not spotting the opponent several TDs so we are not always playing from behind. It didn't seem to me that last year all the parts were working together at one time very often, so if they can pull it together by the end of the season I would consider it a successful season. There is talent there, but it needs to be channeled on each game day.

If one reads between the lines in your post, you are basically saying that coaching will be our biggest challenge..... and I agree with you. Yes, we were damned lucky to win the Poly and South Dakota games last season. We should have been 8-5, and missing the playoffs once again. If that had happened, do you think that all of these Griz fans who support this coaching staff would still do so?

I may be the Lone Ranger, but I do not think our program will return to greatness until we change coaches. Just my opinion. The old man needs to do what he intended to do three years ago........ RETIRE! Gregorak needs to be a LB position coach, not a D-Coordinator.

grizcountry420

Postby grizcountry420 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:31 pm

growler wrote:
cclarkblues wrote:Depends on how you define better season. If you go by just the record, I would say probably not , we got pretty lucky at times to go 10-3. If we are able to overcome early bumps caused by inexperience and begin to play cohesively as a team, maybe. That would probably include winning against one of the big 3 we play on the road. and show the ability to put the hammer down on the teams we should beat. This would include not spotting the opponent several TDs so we are not always playing from behind. It didn't seem to me that last year all the parts were working together at one time very often, so if they can pull it together by the end of the season I would consider it a successful season. There is talent there, but it needs to be channeled on each game day.

If one reads between the lines in your post, you are basically saying that coaching will be our biggest challenge..... and I agree with you. Yes, we were damned lucky to win the Poly and South Dakota games last season. We should have been 8-5, and missing the playoffs once again. If that had happened, do you think that all of these Griz fans who support this coaching staff would still do so?

I may be the Lone Ranger, but I do not think our program will return to greatness until we change coaches. Just my opinion. The old man needs to do what he intended to do three years ago........ RETIRE! Gregorak needs to be a LB position coach, not a D-Coordinator.

I agree....
"I am a football analyst who can predict future success, or lack of it, based upon watching the game unfold."
-Growler

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”