Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

User avatar
growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby growler » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:39 pm

I had a business lunch today with a former Griz player (3-year starter). We discussed the up-coming season, and the prospects for making the playoffs. I will protect his identity, for obvious reasons. It was a very interesting discussion. Here are some of his thoughts:

1) Special Teams - He thinks that our lack of solid special teams play is one of our most critical problems. He states that we have had weak special teams since Hauck left. Since that time, our ST coaching has been done "by committee", and it shows on the field. It will not improve this season under this coaching staff.

2) O-Line - He agrees that our O-line is as weak as he can ever remember. He also stresses that our O-line was weak last season too, even though we had three starters who went to NFL camps. His conclusion is that the talent was probably there, but the coaching was not. Lurch might have been an NFL player, but translating that into being a good coach is not a given.

3) Coaching - he agrees with me that our current coaching staff is way over their heads.

I have to agree with all of his thoughts on these issues.
Wolfman is my name....Owning pedestrian fans is my game

grizpack
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby grizpack » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Not sure very many people disagree with those 3.

CV Griz Fan
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:47 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby CV Griz Fan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:45 pm

growler wrote:I had a business lunch today with a former Griz player (3-year starter). We discussed the up-coming season, and the prospects for making the playoffs. I will protect his identity, for obvious reasons. It was a very interesting discussion. Here are some of his thoughts:

1) Special Teams - He thinks that our lack of solid special teams play is one of our most critical problems. He states that we have had weak special teams since Hauck left. Since that time, our ST coaching has been done "by committee", and it shows on the field. It will not improve this season under this coaching staff.

2) O-Line - He agrees that our O-line is as weak as he can ever remember. He also stresses that our O-line was weak last season too, even though we had three starters who went to NFL camps. His conclusion is that the talent was probably there, but the coaching was not. Lurch might have been an NFL player, but translating that into being a good coach is not a given.

3) Coaching - he agrees with me that our current coaching staff is way over their heads.

I have to agree with all of his thoughts on these issues.


There was a tread today on E-Griz that said that the coaching staff invested in some sort of tackling machine during the off season in an attempt to improve the poor tackling skills on the team. I don't know if that supports your point about the coaches or counters it.

User avatar
growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby growler » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:28 pm

grizpack wrote:Not sure very many people disagree with those 3.


Yeah, I understand. It is just interesting to hear a former player make observations like this. I want to emphasize that he was not slamming the coaches or anything. His comments were more analytical in nature.
Wolfman is my name....Owning pedestrian fans is my game

User avatar
growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby growler » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:32 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
growler wrote:I had a business lunch today with a former Griz player (3-year starter). We discussed the up-coming season, and the prospects for making the playoffs. I will protect his identity, for obvious reasons. It was a very interesting discussion. Here are some of his thoughts:

1) Special Teams - He thinks that our lack of solid special teams play is one of our most critical problems. He states that we have had weak special teams since Hauck left. Since that time, our ST coaching has been done "by committee", and it shows on the field. It will not improve this season under this coaching staff.

2) O-Line - He agrees that our O-line is as weak as he can ever remember. He also stresses that our O-line was weak last season too, even though we had three starters who went to NFL camps. His conclusion is that the talent was probably there, but the coaching was not. Lurch might have been an NFL player, but translating that into being a good coach is not a given.

3) Coaching - he agrees with me that our current coaching staff is way over their heads.

I have to agree with all of his thoughts on these issues.


There was a tread today on E-Griz that said that the coaching staff invested in some sort of tackling machine during the off season in an attempt to improve the poor tackling skills on the team. I don't know if that supports your point about the coaches or counters it.



A tackling machine may help teach proper tacking technique, but who is gonna teach these coaches to create effective game plans, call effective plays against certain defensive formations, structure defenses to maximize the talents of your players (something they did NOT do last season with our great LB corps), teach effective special team play, make game-time adjustments, etc, etc.?
Wolfman is my name....Owning pedestrian fans is my game

User avatar
grizcountry420
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby grizcountry420 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:02 am

Shouldn't you know how to tackle before playing college ball? This is one of the first things taught when learning the game of football..
"I am a football analyst who can predict future success, or lack of it, based upon watching the game unfold."
-Growler

glendivegriz
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:56 pm
Location: Are you an idiot?

Re: Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby glendivegriz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm

One would think but, look at some of the Pros. Lots of poor tackling teams.

User avatar
growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Revealing Lunch today With Former Player

Postby growler » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm

grizcountry420 wrote:Shouldn't you know how to tackle before playing college ball? This is one of the first things taught when learning the game of football..



All one had to do is watch the Griz defense eat turf on many plays the past two seasons under this coaching staff.
Wolfman is my name....Owning pedestrian fans is my game


Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests