Griz QB Situation

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Griz QB Situation

Postby growler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:59 am

The latest scrimmage showed once again why Delaney should make Smithwick-hypenated the permanent clipboard holder on the sidelines, and move a couple of other QBs ahead of him on the depth charts.

The guy is just not a FCS level QB. His release is the slowest I have ever seen at this level, including all opponents QBs. He telegraphs his throws, and because it takes him so freaking long to deliver the rock after he winds up to throw, the defensive is able to cover the intended receiver. The results generally are not good.

SSH is now a senior. We know what we've got with him, and it will never work at this level. Sit his butt down, and get one of the younger QBs ready to play with the first unit in case Jordy goes down, and with this offensive line, that is a very real possibly this season.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

CV Griz Fan

Re: Griz QB Situation

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 am

growler wrote:The latest scrimmage showed once again why Delaney should make Smithwick-hypenated the permanent clipboard holder on the sidelines, and move a couple of other QBs ahead of him on the depth charts.

The guy is just not a FCS level QB. His release is the slowest I have ever seen at this level, including all opponents QBs. He telegraphs his throws, and because it takes him so freaking long to deliver the rock after he winds up to throw, the defensive is able to cover the intended receiver. The results generally are not good.

SSH is now a senior. We know what we've got with him, and it will never work at this level. Sit his butt down, and get one of the younger QBs ready to play with the first unit in case Jordy goes down, and with this offensive line, that is a very real possibly this season.

Great point but Delaney and staff have proven over and over again that once they have developed an opinion on a player, they don't deviate from that opinion. There have been too many examples over the last two seasons where struggling players were not replaced when they should have been. The secondary is a perfect example.

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Re: Griz QB Situation

Postby growler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:42 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
growler wrote:The latest scrimmage showed once again why Delaney should make Smithwick-hypenated the permanent clipboard holder on the sidelines, and move a couple of other QBs ahead of him on the depth charts.

Great point but Delaney and staff have proven over and over again that once they have developed an opinion on a player, they don't deviate from that opinion. There have been too many examples over the last two seasons where struggling players were not replaced when they should have been. The secondary is a perfect example.

Yeah, you are correct. But I personally would like to see what Simis can do working with the first unit on offense. I am telling you that I have been told by a well-respected high school coach in Boise that Simis is the real deal. He had several second tier FBS schools come in late with offers, but stuck with his verbal to Montana. But he has never been given much of a chance to show what he can do. My point is this, SSH is a know quantity, and he is NOT the answer. He is a lame-duck senior QB, who should move down and let the future happen. There is no possible way that Gus or Simis could be worse than SSH. Get them some PT and move on.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”