O-Line

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

O-Line

Postby growler » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Our O-line, even with Schmaing and Poole there, was going to be perhaps the weakest we have had in many years. Now, with the two best gone, we are going to be very weak at that position. There is no substitution for maturity and experience, and our line with have neither. We will be forced to play young kids, who have not matured mentally or physically, They will be too light-weight, and will be schooled by veteran defensive players. I think losing these two players is the most devastating thing to happen to this team since the Jordy Johnson rape fiasco. And, it will certainly de-rail our season.

I would not be surprised if we now lose 5-7 games. The line is just that important. If we have no offense, then our defense is forced to play way too many minutes, wearing them out during the game. This happened when SSH was the starting QB, and it was not pretty to watch our great defenses have to take the field once again after yet another 3-and-out.
Last edited by growler on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

CV Griz Fan
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:47 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: O-Line

Postby CV Griz Fan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:11 pm

growler wrote:Our O-line, even with Schmaing and Poole there, was going to be perhaps the weakest we have had in many years. Now, with the two best gone, we are going to be very weak at that position. There is no substitution for maturity and experience, and our line with have neither. We will be forced to play young kids, who have not matured mentally or physically, They will be too light-weight, and will be schooled by veteran defensive players. I think losing these two players is the most devastating thing to happen to this team since the Jordy Johnson rape fiasco. And, it will certainly de-rail our season.

I would not be surprised if we now lose 5-7 games. The line is just that important. If we have not offense, then our defense is forced to play way too many minutes, wearing them out during the game. This happened when SSH was the starting QB, and it was not pretty to watch our great defenses have to take the field once again after yet another 3-and-out.


Delaney the Great will get the Griz through this crucible. I can feel it.....

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: O-Line

Postby growler » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 am

CV Griz Fan wrote:
growler wrote:Our O-line, even with Schmaing and Poole there, was going to be perhaps the weakest we have had in many years. Now, with the two best gone, we are going to be very weak at that position. There is no substitution for maturity and experience, and our line with have neither. We will be forced to play young kids, who have not matured mentally or physically, They will be too light-weight, and will be schooled by veteran defensive players. I think losing these two players is the most devastating thing to happen to this team since the Jordy Johnson rape fiasco. And, it will certainly de-rail our season.

I would not be surprised if we now lose 5-7 games. The line is just that important. If we have not offense, then our defense is forced to play way too many minutes, wearing them out during the game. This happened when SSH was the starting QB, and it was not pretty to watch our great defenses have to take the field once again after yet another 3-and-out.


Delaney the Great will get the Griz through this crucible. I can feel it.....


I got a good laugh out of that one! One more O-line comment. Last season, everyone was discussing how the Hines brothers needed to step up and play to their potential. Their play was very spotty, and many, including the coaches, felt like they had never shown on the field what they could do. So, now, one year later, they are being lauded as the "experienced leaders" of the offensive line??? They go from being second stringers with a spotty success history to experienced leaders??? If this is true, then we are in BIG TROUBLE on the O-line this season!
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

User avatar
GRIZNATION
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:07 am

Re: O-Line

Postby GRIZNATION » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:30 pm

There is plenty of blame to go around when it comes to the OL.

You can point fingers to Pflugrad, Delaney, Kaleikini, Licciardi, Poole etc but the facts are this is a group effort and due to injuries, bad recruiting and personal decisions this is going to be a horrid year for JJ behind the lightest, most inexperienced and eclectic group of OL men we will ever see in our lifetime at UM.

We have 7 players that wouldn't start on any other BSC team and the only one with big time potential is Luke and Schmaing may be serviceable if he gets his personal stuff and grades up. We need to hit this very hard in the coming recruiting year or we are done for awhile when it comes to being competitive.
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: O-Line

Postby growler » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:45 pm

GRIZNATION wrote:There is plenty of blame to go around when it comes to the OL.

You can point fingers to Pflugrad, Delaney, Kaleikini, Licciardi, Poole etc but the facts are this is a group effort and due to injuries, bad recruiting and personal decisions this is going to be a horrid year for JJ behind the lightest, most inexperienced and eclectic group of OL men we will ever see in our lifetime at UM.

We have 7 players that wouldn't start on any other BSC team and the only one with big time potential is Luke and Schmaing may be serviceable if he gets his personal stuff and grades up. We need to hit this very hard in the coming recruiting year or we are done for awhile when it comes to being competitive.


I gotta agree witcha nation. We used to be able to count on having the best O-line in the Big Sky (and one of the best in the nation) every season. This O-line is not even in the same league as previous lines.

To make it worse, I am not sure that Lurch's many years in the NFL has translated into him being a good teacher for our O-linemen. I'll take Germer any day!
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

cclarkblues
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:44 am

Re: O-Line

Postby cclarkblues » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm

On the other hand, they're all we've got.

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 3255
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: O-Line

Postby growler » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:16 pm

cclarkblues wrote:On the other hand, they're all we've got.


That is true, my friend.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998


Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests