Why Montana Can Embarrass Wyoming

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

FormerPlayer83

Why Montana Can Embarrass Wyoming

Postby FormerPlayer83 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:46 pm

I keep reading about our OL this season being the weak link and I don't see the huge holes others do. Granted this is just my opinion but I feel our OL matches up pretty well with what Wyoming brings to the table on defense.

Yarborough and Puletasi are the starting DE's for Wyoming and they are both listed at 6'3" 251. The OT's for the Griz are Thiebes at 6'5" 280 and I believe Dietrich at 6'5" 270 there is no mismatch there in fact our smaller lighter guys might do surprisingly well against them.

Mertens 285 lbs and Boyland 297 are not any bigger than what our center and guards go up against every practice. Worst case scenario we have a draw with them and JJ takes matters into his own hands. If JJ runs to keep them honest I think Wyoming could be in big trouble because johnson can make plays unlike any QB they will face all year. Wyoming won't see a more accurate passer that's for sure. If Henderson can play we will give that defense all they want.

Wyoming will have depth and that could pose problems late in the third quarter and into the fourth unless we can keep our defense off the field with longer sustained drives, not all of them need to be scores but we need to put some points up when possible and get into the psyche of a team with a new coach and scheme. Coach Bohl will try to impose their will on us the same way controlling the clock and wearing us out towards the end of the game. But there is no reason we cannot run the ball against this Cowboy defense, Canada and Van are equal to the task going up against the LB's and if they can get to the second level it's going to cause trouble for Wyoming. Bohl loves to try and get pressure with 4 and let the LB's play off that. My gut says they will not be able to do that. Against our OL and JJ will have time to distribute the ball. Getting Van in space against a 4-3 will crush them as it's not an optimal defense to shut down the spread aspects that we can throw at them even running our pro set.

If our defense can hold RB DJ May in check Wyoming is going to have a long day and not a very happy opening weekend even if they find a way to steal this one from us. This game will be close and we might win or lose on a FG here or there. If we are ever going to topple an FBS team this is our chance, this isn't Iowa or Tennessee.

Had lunch today with a former team mate and ran into a TE that played a few years ago. These are some of the things we talked about over lunch. The former TE said we would beat Wyoming because his "buddy Jordan Johnson won't lose to a team like that" he grinned and walked back to work. I hope he's right :thumbsup:

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Re: Why Montana Can Embarrass Wyoming

Postby growler » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 pm

FormerPlayer83 wrote:I keep reading about our OL this season being the weak link and I don't see the huge holes others do. Granted this is just my opinion but I feel our OL matches up pretty well with what Wyoming brings to the table on defense.

Yarborough and Puletasi are the starting DE's for Wyoming and they are both listed at 6'3" 251. The OT's for the Griz are Thiebes at 6'5" 280 and I believe Dietrich at 6'5" 270 there is no mismatch there in fact our smaller lighter guys might do surprisingly well against them.

Mertens 285 lbs and Boyland 297 are not any bigger than what our center and guards go up against every practice. Worst case scenario we have a draw with them and JJ takes matters into his own hands. If JJ runs to keep them honest I think Wyoming could be in big trouble because johnson can make plays unlike any QB they will face all year. Wyoming won't see a more accurate passer that's for sure. If Henderson can play we will give that defense all they want.

Wyoming will have depth and that could pose problems late in the third quarter and into the fourth unless we can keep our defense off the field with longer sustained drives, not all of them need to be scores but we need to put some points up when possible and get into the psyche of a team with a new coach and scheme. Coach Bohl will try to impose their will on us the same way controlling the clock and wearing us out towards the end of the game. But there is no reason we cannot run the ball against this Cowboy defense, Canada and Van are equal to the task going up against the LB's and if they can get to the second level it's going to cause trouble for Wyoming. Bohl loves to try and get pressure with 4 and let the LB's play off that. My gut says they will not be able to do that. Against our OL and JJ will have time to distribute the ball. Getting Van in space against a 4-3 will crush them as it's not an optimal defense to shut down the spread aspects that we can throw at them even running our pro set.

If our defense can hold RB DJ May in check Wyoming is going to have a long day and not a very happy opening weekend even if they find a way to steal this one from us. This game will be close and we might win or lose on a FG here or there. If we are ever going to topple an FBS team this is our chance, this isn't Iowa or Tennessee.

Had lunch today with a former team mate and ran into a TE that played a few years ago. These are some of the things we talked about over lunch. The former TE said we would beat Wyoming because his "buddy Jordan Johnson won't lose to a team like that" he grinned and walked back to work. I hope he's right :thumbsup:

Your explanation of the match-ups between their D-ends and our O-line is much too simplified. Comparing player's weights means little. Our kids are young, and inexperienced. You must not have played on the offensive line, because you do not seem to realize that solid lines have to communicate, make reads, handle blitzes, the center has to make line calls, etc. The ability to do these things comes with experience and playing together as a unit over time. These kids who will start in Laramie will not have these qualities yet. They may be a great line next season, but it will not happen this Saturday.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

GRIZNATION

Postby GRIZNATION » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:35 am

My initial reaction to this post was wow, another griz homer and I had some things i wanted to say but then I stoped and decided to roll with it.

Our center played last season and knows the scheme, he will have to be the anchor until the others catch up. I think our guards are average at best but at least those are the positions that have some size and a little experience behind them. The tackles are the big worry especially JJ's blindside being a former TE and now starting tackle. At least being a TE he has some blocking experience and 5 or 6 years of playing experience since high school. His post made an interesting contrast to the other doom and gloomers and the view point is appreciated. That being said my heart wants to agree with him but my brain is telling me that Growlers post is probably more accurate at the moment.

We will see on Saturday, GO GRIZ! :gogriz:
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

growler

Postby growler » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:14 pm

GRIZNATION wrote:My initial reaction to this post was wow, another griz homer and I had some things i wanted to say but then I stoped and decided to roll with it.

Our center played last season and knows the scheme, he will have to be the anchor until the others catch up. I think our guards are average at best but at least those are the positions that have some size and a little experience behind them. The tackles are the big worry especially JJ's blindside being a former TE and now starting tackle. At least being a TE he has some blocking experience and 5 or 6 years of playing experience since high school. His post made an interesting contrast to the other doom and gloomers and the view point is appreciated. That being said my heart wants to agree with him but my brain is telling me that Growlers post is probably more accurate at the moment.

We will see on Saturday, GO GRIZ! :gogriz:

We all hope that I am wrong. But, as you said, my head thinks our line will not be effective on Saturday. This may be Wyoming, but they are an FBS team, and should feast against an inexperienced line. I just hope that JJ emerges unhurt from this game. I think he will get to know the turf in Laramie very well on Saturday. :gogriz:

growler

Postby growler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Right once again! It gets old! Where is "former player" after his ridiculous post about us schooling Wyoming?

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”