UM @ Wyoming CowboysGame Thread (4pm 8-30f-14)

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

Grizfan-24

Re: UM @ Wyoming CowboysGame Thread (4pm 8-30f-14)

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Continue to go back to the inside run game. What Montana needs is a couple easy first downs but nothing in this game is come easy. Johnson just doesn't look good. And he's not staying patient enough to work off receivers.

Give credit to Wyoming they have created a solid game plan their goal was to take away the vertical passing game and they've done just exactly that they must believe that we wouldn't be able to run the ball against him and that seems to be true.

They sell out Anna on a blitz to stop it and they bust a big play for a touchdown. Are not going Montana's direction now that is for sure. Most of this probably lies on Montana's inability to do anything on offense and the defense actually looks at this point now officially tired i'm not sure what the answer is here but they've got to do something different differently offense Avleigh or this game is going to turn into a rout.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Good drive so far for Montana. They are doing an incredible job getting van the ball. Montana moving the ball as the third quarter ends. Maybe the most important driver the football game.

The game plan hasn't been bad, the interesting thing though is the fact that Johnson just clearly isn't firing on all cylinders today. He's missed a lot of open receivers. They seem to want to go to back to a shorter passing game. At the end of the third-quarter Montana trails Wyoming 17 to 6.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Henderson had an opportunity to stick his nose up inside. And he didn't take advantage of it. Montana Drive stalls out. This is a huge possession for the Montana defense.
--Ron Burgandy

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Great set of playcalling by the offense, obviously benefited from the 25 minute lightning delay. People were worried about our tight end position but frankly today they been the best in the passing game. Ralston absolutely trucked the guy and that's what is going to bring to the table he is super physical.

The Grizz need to stop here obviously, and Wyoming is just going to shove the ball down our throat I would expect a lot of internal pressure stunts to try to create something for linebackers and Wagenmann.

The LB play by Montana today has been great. They are very athletic and not afraid to stick their noses. So far a vanilla look, but great execution.

The NCAA rules on sidelines and running clock, almost mandate using the timeouts where they do. All in an effort to makes games more time efficient.

Wyoming can run a minute or so off the clock on every play. I just don't like the rules.

Griz get the stop.
--Ron Burgandy

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Anemic series by the Griz, just terrible execution. Van doing too much, drop by Burke and Johnson forced to take the check down.

Wyoming grinding it out. Missed tackles galore. One more 1st down and this game is over.

Game set match. Offense just couldn't manage anything.
--Ron Burgandy

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 pm

24:

Is just me or did your ten pre-game points pretty much go Wyoming's way?

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:21 am

I think most of them did and to be honest I figured most of the would.

I think people assumed Wyoming was going to be this soft defense (they were last year) but that isn't how Bohl teams play. Their defensive line was always going to cause us problems because it is better than anything we'll face this year (maybe minus NDSU).

I thought it was a great gameplan to limit the number of deep drops by Jordan, and if people didn't think our offensive line wasn't going to struggle with blitz pickup well they need to get their heads out of the clouds.

This game came down to the fact that Wyomings defense was far superior to our offense. Game, set, match. Johnson wasn't good at all and was given chances to execute and for the first time in a long while didn't have the type of game we are used to seeing.

I was really happy with the D. They are going to be fine. We missed tackles late, when they had been on the field forever. I'll give Hermy a pass on the aggressive route on the 50 yard td run. Wasn't the best route, but guys were flying to the football. The defense gave Wyoming's offense all they could handle today.

On the blocked punt: That was a terrible choice by the PP. You are told to step down, but you need to get your hand on the guy. They went two for one on the inside guy and let the other go scot free. The other part of it is that Shaw continues to be at times rather slow getting the punt off.
I for one don't like that punt alignment because I think it gives way to many initial unobstructed lines to the punter. Watch all the programs who run it, they get a lot of near blocks.

*****RANT COMING*****

We have to stop comparing apples to oranges. This is a football team that is probably worthy of the 5th ranking in FCS. We aren't close at this moment to NDSU or maybe EWU. Most of that is entirely related to what might be a slow process of getting the O-Line some confidence. This wasn't or never would be to break in 4 new starters on the O-Line. Heck I wouldn't do it in any cases. They had an not-surprising uneven camp because of it and if you expect the offense to fire on all cylinders with several of its components (henderson, van, naccaratto, the whole o-line, others) not working at all together the whole camp you need to get your head examined.

I get that we hate losing games we should win. A game that we could have won. Being frustrated for the sake of being frustrated about the state or condition of the program is getting pleasure from pain. If it is your schtick fine, but the reality is if given the opportunity this team could be really, really, good by the end of the season.

I will say this now: there is nothing that would stop us from going the rest of the season with more than one loss. I see us having a great chance in conference to challenge and if not surpass EWU. That maybe bold but mostly because I choose to look at the positive take aways from todays game.

Brint was and is right, there are so many that populate this and the other board seem to get a significant amount of joy at watching us fail. I personally don't get it. I didn't see anything yesterday that couldn't be fixed. The defense on the whole (throw out the 200 yards of rushing (three series really) stuck it to Wyoming. There were small things that let to the loss, not big things. The defense seems to be further ahead schematically than at any other point in recent memory. If you want to mire yourself in two or three points then go ahead but it isn't going to get you any closer to understanding the game of football.

Here is the point, finding negatives and pointing them out is merely pointing out the obvious. Doesn't solve an issue nor does it bring anything to the conversation. Because if you know anything about blitz pickup, by all means tell me what needed to happen (a 3-2 box call, a 4-2 luck call) that would have kept JJ from getting run through on those plays.

I have a blog up by Tuesday about a couple of observations from a tactical standpoint.
--Ron Burgandy

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:28 am

Grizfan-24 wrote:I think most of them did and to be honest I figured most of the would.

I think people assumed Wyoming was going to be this soft defense (they were last year) but that isn't how Bohl teams play. Their defensive line was always going to cause us problems because it is better than anything we'll face this year (maybe minus NDSU).

I thought it was a great gameplan to limit the number of deep drops by Jordan, and if people didn't think our offensive line wasn't going to struggle with blitz pickup well they need to get their heads out of the clouds.

This game came down to the fact that Wyomings defense was far superior to our offense. Game, set, match. Johnson wasn't good at all and was given chances to execute and for the first time in a long while didn't have the type of game we are used to seeing.

I was really happy with the D. They are going to be fine. We missed tackles late, when they had been on the field forever. I'll give Hermy a pass on the aggressive route on the 50 yard td run. Wasn't the best route, but guys were flying to the football. The defense gave Wyoming's offense all they could handle today.

On the blocked punt: That was a terrible choice by the PP. You are told to step down, but you need to get your hand on the guy. They went two for one on the inside guy and let the other go scot free. The other part of it is that Shaw continues to be at times rather slow getting the punt off.
I for one don't like that punt alignment because I think it gives way to many initial unobstructed lines to the punter. Watch all the programs who run it, they get a lot of near blocks.

*****RANT COMING*****

We have to stop comparing apples to oranges. This is a football team that is probably worthy of the 5th ranking in FCS. We aren't close at this moment to NDSU or maybe EWU. Most of that is entirely related to what might be a slow process of getting the O-Line some confidence. This wasn't or never would be to break in 4 new starters on the O-Line. Heck I wouldn't do it in any cases. They had an not-surprising uneven camp because of it and if you expect the offense to fire on all cylinders with several of its components (henderson, van, naccaratto, the whole o-line, others) not working at all together the whole camp you need to get your head examined.

I get that we hate losing games we should win. A game that we could have won. Being frustrated for the sake of being frustrated about the state or condition of the program is getting pleasure from pain. If it is your schtick fine, but the reality is if given the opportunity this team could be really, really, good by the end of the season.

I will say this now: there is nothing that would stop us from going the rest of the season with more than one loss. I see us having a great chance in conference to challenge and if not surpass EWU. That maybe bold but mostly because I choose to look at the positive take aways from todays game.

Brint was and is right, there are so many that populate this and the other board seem to get a significant amount of joy at watching us fail. I personally don't get it. I didn't see anything yesterday that couldn't be fixed. The defense on the whole (throw out the 200 yards of rushing (three series really) stuck it to Wyoming. There were small things that let to the loss, not big things. The defense seems to be further ahead schematically than at any other point in recent memory. If you want to mire yourself in two or three points then go ahead but it isn't going to get you any closer to understanding the game of football.

Here is the point, finding negatives and pointing them out is merely pointing out the obvious. Doesn't solve an issue nor does it bring anything to the conversation. Because if you know anything about blitz pickup, by all means tell me what needed to happen (a 3-2 box call, a 4-2 luck call) that would have kept JJ from getting run through on those plays.

I have a blog up by Tuesday about a couple of observations from a tactical standpoint.

Good post but how could you not touch on the inability of Griz to run the football? Yes Wyo's D-line was good but still... Upbeat predictions are the same as Doom and Gloom predictions because neither are the result of a crystal ball. I predicted a 9-3 or 8-4 season. This loss is by no means a season killer but there are some take aways that will need to be understood. The matchup with NDSU is a real concern now IMO.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:19 pm

Honestly I didn't think we were going to have much success in the run game. I didn't think it was a huge issue, because I thought that Johnson and the well crafted medium passing game was going to make up for it.

Johnson was harried for much of the game, either literally or figuratively, and ruined any balance in play calling they might have enjoyed. Johnson couldn't stretch the defense and Wyoming stuck in that really soft (almost call it a cover 4 shell) and we couldn't establish the middle of the football field. The lack of a run game play a bit into that, but I thought we would enjoy a better passing day that would have folded into softening up running lanes.

The gameplan was fairly obvious to me...

A. A medium to quick passing game to allow the o-line not to be in drop back passing sets.
B. By stretching the field horizontally, that would give the OL a bit better chance at getting the angles they needed to run the ball in side.

Neither happened, Van looked better than Canada, and their was no initial push to give either of our RB's teh ability to attack the Wyoming defense north to south.

Losing both Schmaing and Poole hurt a ton in this regard because if you want to run stretch (both Van and Canada excel) you need to set an edge and allow your secondary blockers to set up natural running lanes, and we couldn't get the edge with any down hill angle. Watch how many times Canada had to take two or three steps side ways before he took a step forward.

Stretch is always a cloudy run play, but it comes even more cloudy when the RB can't get the heel level of the OT. Or conversely the OT gets bubbled (which happened a few times yesterday) and then you have no choice to sprint to the sideline and hope something appears.

Before people freak out about the OL, I will point out a couple of observations:

From what I observed (didn't rewatch the game) there were very, very few run throughs. Yes they struggled at stoning blitzes and led to some bubble in the middle, but in a pass game sense the held up fairly well. Maybe better than I honestly expected. Normally pass pro is much more difficult of a concept to acquire than run game which is all about angles.

I think teaching the stretch/power concept isn't as easy as people like to think. A lot of it is about reading what the defense gives to you at snap and a few times they were a fraction late getting their heads across a DL or LB.

Against a far less formidable line like CWU will allow us to get better and then the following week against USD will give us a better read where the OL is at. If we are struggling after game three in the run game, then there would be high reason to panic.

Bohl paid us a ton of compliments yesterday. I would pay attention to that. He's not a guy to throw out gratuitous amounts of praise.
--Ron Burgandy

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:15 am

Grizfan-24 wrote:Honestly I didn't think we were going to have much success in the run game. I didn't think it was a huge issue, because I thought that Johnson and the well crafted medium passing game was going to make up for it.

Johnson was harried for much of the game, either literally or figuratively, and ruined any balance in play calling they might have enjoyed. Johnson couldn't stretch the defense and Wyoming stuck in that really soft (almost call it a cover 4 shell) and we couldn't establish the middle of the football field. The lack of a run game play a bit into that, but I thought we would enjoy a better passing day that would have folded into softening up running lanes.

The gameplan was fairly obvious to me...

A. A medium to quick passing game to allow the o-line not to be in drop back passing sets.
B. By stretching the field horizontally, that would give the OL a bit better chance at getting the angles they needed to run the ball in side.

Neither happened, Van looked better than Canada, and their was no initial push to give either of our RB's teh ability to attack the Wyoming defense north to south.

Losing both Schmaing and Poole hurt a ton in this regard because if you want to run stretch (both Van and Canada excel) you need to set an edge and allow your secondary blockers to set up natural running lanes, and we couldn't get the edge with any down hill angle. Watch how many times Canada had to take two or three steps side ways before he took a step forward.

Stretch is always a cloudy run play, but it comes even more cloudy when the RB can't get the heel level of the OT. Or conversely the OT gets bubbled (which happened a few times yesterday) and then you have no choice to sprint to the sideline and hope something appears.

Before people freak out about the OL, I will point out a couple of observations:

From what I observed (didn't rewatch the game) there were very, very few run throughs. Yes they struggled at stoning blitzes and led to some bubble in the middle, but in a pass game sense the held up fairly well. Maybe better than I honestly expected. Normally pass pro is much more difficult of a concept to acquire than run game which is all about angles.

I think teaching the stretch/power concept isn't as easy as people like to think. A lot of it is about reading what the defense gives to you at snap and a few times they were a fraction late getting their heads across a DL or LB.

Against a far less formidable line like CWU will allow us to get better and then the following week against USD will give us a better read where the OL is at. If we are struggling after game three in the run game, then there would be high reason to panic.

Bohl paid us a ton of compliments yesterday. I would pay attention to that. He's not a guy to throw out gratuitous amounts of praise.

While your points are pretty much on the money, I think you give too much credit to wyoming. They are an awful FBS football team, and will be lucky to win 2-3 games. Their defense is very weak. We will face several better defenses this season. So, if we struggled against the Pokes, what can we expect against EWU, NDSU, S. Utah?
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”