Special Teams

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Special Teams

Postby growler » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:51 pm

One other observation regarding Griz special teams play. Please explain to me why we have only one kickoff returner back deep, instead of dual return men like 95% of every other college teams in the country? That is absolutely insane, and very nearly cost us the ball on a Wyoming kickoff. We need to hire a ST coach, and stop trying to band-aid special team coaching with coaches who know nothing about it!
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

CV Griz Fan

Re: Special Teams

Postby CV Griz Fan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 pm

growler wrote:One other observation regarding Griz special teams play. Please explain to me why we have only one kickoff returner back deep, instead of dual return men like 95% of every other college teams in the country? That is absolutely insane, and very nearly cost us the ball on a Wyoming kickoff. We need to hire a ST coach, and stop trying to band-aid special team coaching with coaches who know nothing about it!

Delaney is worried about whether his OCs and DC can cut it. Now he has got to worry about Special Teams? C'mon Growler. Quit being so critical....

growler

Postby growler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:27 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
growler wrote:One other observation regarding Griz special teams play. Please explain to me why we have only one kickoff returner back deep, instead of dual return men like 95% of every other college teams in the country? That is absolutely insane, and very nearly cost us the ball on a Wyoming kickoff. We need to hire a ST coach, and stop trying to band-aid special team coaching with coaches who know nothing about it!

Delaney is worried about whether his OCs and DC can cut it. Now he has got to worry about Special Teams? C'mon Growler. Quit being so critical....

Just telling it like it is. Our special teams are "special Ed" teams. They are the worst I can ever remember at UM, in my many years of being a fan. Every punt, every KO, every FG, every extra point..........I just hold me breath knowing that they will f*ck it up 50% of the time! I'm sure that you do too!

putter

Postby putter » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:36 pm

They sure have not tackled very well so far against CWU.

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Our special teams would be better with special Olympians playing. You have to try to suck this bad
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

growler

Postby growler » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Am I the only one who hates have a single KO return man instead of duals? You rarely see any college team do this any longer. It caused a fumble last week versus the Cowboys.

putter

Postby putter » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Over 200 yards given up on ST today. I realize they had a lot of chances with the points the Griz put up but they gave up a lot of long returns. Lots of work this week on tackling.

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 am

putter wrote:Over 200 yards given up on ST today. I realize they had a lot of chances with the points the Griz put up but they gave up a lot of long returns. Lots of work this week on tackling.

That is a problem that isn't being fixed. It seems like this comes up every week whether it is special teams, or Defense. I think UM needs to watch the 20 minute Pete Carroll Tackling video on Hudl, and drill it to death. :beer:

grizfnz

Postby grizfnz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:00 pm

How come Pete doesn't talk about grabbing the guy high and relentlessly attempting to strip the ball while allowing the offensive player to drag the defender another 8 to 10 yards after contact?

GRIZNATION

Postby GRIZNATION » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:04 pm

growler wrote:Am I the only one who hates have a single KO return man instead of duals? You rarely see any college team do this any longer. It caused a fumble last week versus the Cowboys.

Yes
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”