Big Plays

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

GRIZNATION

Big Plays

Postby GRIZNATION » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Griz need to cut down on the multiple big scoring plays they give up every game.

Today against Central Washington we gave up yet another big play when Todd ripped off a 32 yard TD run.

Last week against Wyoming we gave up a 58 yard TD to May

Coastal Carolina in the playoffs had Tallifiero rip off a 51 yard TD run, Bennett had an 86 yard TD catch.

Against Montana State, Johnson had an 82 yard punt return for a TD

South Dakota had a 60 yard INT return for a TD and Bouma had a 38 ard TD run

EWU had a Hill 86 yard TD catch, Cupp 34 yard TD catch, Clark 52 yard TD catch

Sac St had Richard have a 32 yard TD catch

NAU, Bauman had a 41 yard TD run, Reardon had a 98 yard fumble recovery for a TD, Alford had a 22 yard fumble return for a TD. We all know that Bauman had a couple runs of 50 plus the year before.

Is it just me or do we give up an incredible amount of 30 + plays that go for TD's? Its one thing to give up a big play but why do all of them against us seem to be for scores? We don't have that many big plays that end up in the end zone. I know big plays happen but my question is why does it seem like so many more happen to us? Am I wrong?
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Re: Big Plays

Postby growler » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:23 am

GRIZNATION wrote:Griz need to cut down on the multiple big scoring plays they give up every game.

Today against Central Washington we gave up yet another big play when Todd ripped off a 32 yard TD run.

Last week against Wyoming we gave up a 58 yard TD to May

Coastal Carolina in the playoffs had Tallifiero rip off a 51 yard TD run, Bennett had an 86 yard TD catch.

Against Montana State, Johnson had an 82 yard punt return for a TD

South Dakota had a 60 yard INT return for a TD and Bouma had a 38 ard TD run

EWU had a Hill 86 yard TD catch, Cupp 34 yard TD catch, Clark 52 yard TD catch

Sac St had Richard have a 32 yard TD catch

NAU, Bauman had a 41 yard TD run, Reardon had a 98 yard fumble recovery for a TD, Alford had a 22 yard fumble return for a TD. We all know that Bauman had a couple runs of 50 plus the year before.

Is it just me or do we give up an incredible amount of 30 + plays that go for TD's? Its one thing to give up a big play but why do all of them against us seem to be for scores? We don't have that many big plays that end up in the end zone. I know big plays happen but my question is why does it seem like so many more happen to us? Am I wrong?

Interesting observation. I think big plays happen because players get out of position. Under Gregorak, our LBs and D-backs seem to get out of position much more frequently than most of our opponents. Thus, we give more big plays than we get. Another reason we do not get many big plays is the limited playbook we seem to want to run. Few screen passes. Few passes to the backs. Few end arounds. Few counter plays.
Wolfman is my name....Owning pedestrian fans is my game

GRIZNATION

Re: Big Plays

Postby GRIZNATION » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:45 am

We do have some big plays but they seem to be in the middle of the field. Van had 3 or 4 yesterday that went for scores but that was against a DII school so I do not put much credence in them. I guess my point was simply we seem to give up a play or two a game and they are usually for scores not just long first downs. When that happens you are usually playing uphill most of the game.
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”