2014 - JJs Senior Season

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

ALPHAGRIZ1

2014 - JJs Senior Season

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Just want to get this on the record, but I will be surprised if JJ plays in more than 5 or 6 games this season. With the concussion he sustained and our OL in shambles it's going to take a miracle for him to make the entire season.

IMO they just need to turn him loose and run him out of his shoes. That will give him the best chance to protect himself and also slow the pass rush down the road. I wish him the best but I don't have a good feeling about this year. This is probably going to linger and reoccur and take him out of any rhythm this offense can have.

It's amazing to have a QB of his talent and really only get one solid year out of him his entire career. Perfect storm of bad things happening, coach turnover, legal issues and now injuries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

CV Griz Fan

Re: 2014 - JJs Senior Season

Postby CV Griz Fan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:41 pm

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Just want to get this on the record, but I will be surprised if JJ plays in more than 5 or 6 games this season. With the concussion he sustained and our OL in shambles it's going to take a miracle for him to make the entire season.

IMO they just need to turn him loose and run him out of his shoes. That will give him the best chance to protect himself and also slow the pass rush down the road. I wish him the best but I don't have a good feeling about this year. This is probably going to linger and reoccur and take him out of any rhythm this offense can have.

It's amazing to have a QB of his talent and really only get one solid year out of him his entire career. Perfect storm of bad things happening, coach turnover, legal issues and now injuries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just how bad could JJ get knocked around in the NDSU game? Frankly, that game kinda scares me.
JJ could take a lot of punishment if the Griz aren't careful.

#1GRIZ

Postby #1GRIZ » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:41 pm

The coaches should think about sitting JJ out for the NDSU game and save him for conference play.

pussycatkillerz

Postby pussycatkillerz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:23 am

#1GRIZ wrote:The coaches should think about sitting JJ out for the NDSU game and save him for conference play.

lol
Wins Since 2000 (All of College Football)
1st place: Montana: 152 - 2nd place: Boise State: 143........Texas: 139.....App State: 131...
North Dakota State: 120

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:37 pm

The OC's against Wyoming didn't hang JJ out to dry and there is no reason to think they would do that against NDSU. I honestly don't know if NDSU's whole DL is of compliment to Wyomings. I would be of the assumption that NDSU might have one or two kids that might be better, but Wyoming's DL was collectively more of a test. In any case, they had tons of short to medium passes that protected the OL and JJ in that game. Lots of a west coast style quick passing game that didn't in the least work against wyoming because JJ was so off in that game. There were open receivers, JJ just couldn't or didn't get the ball to them.

That being said, from the information I have received and I really don't know or can't say, but the concussion came of a play that wasn't an OL breakdown but rather either a rollout or scramble play.

I really believe our OL is going to get vastly better because of what they see in practice. They are going to see one of the best DE's in FCS (including the NDSU kid) in practice every week and a DL that is far from chump change. A line that is the equal of just about every team we play this year maybe for the exception of one or two.

If the OL isn't challenged in practice, especially in pass protection, then the coaches aren't doing their jobs. This isn't a condemnation of whether they are or not, but someone will most undoubtedly will take it that way, but rather this is what coaches line up against their #1 D for. To get game speed, full blow action.

I get the consternation, because we need JJ to be the man this year to get into the playoffs and do some damage. I saw enough improvement in the protection stuff from week 1 to 2 to suggest there will be continued improvement down the line. This week is a better indicator than last week to the progress the line makes.

But I see the coaches doing the right things in terms of protection schemes (max pro stuff) to help the OL gel and improve. So far I have seen very little hang the OL and JJ out to dry stuff (5 step drops) unless they have had to (3rd and long stuff).
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:26 am

Grizfan-24 wrote:The OC's against Wyoming didn't hang JJ out to dry and there is no reason to think they would do that against NDSU. I honestly don't know if NDSU's whole DL is of compliment to Wyomings. I would be of the assumption that NDSU might have one or two kids that might be better, but Wyoming's DL was collectively more of a test. In any case, they had tons of short to medium passes that protected the OL and JJ in that game. Lots of a west coast style quick passing game that didn't in the least work against wyoming because JJ was so off in that game. There were open receivers, JJ just couldn't or didn't get the ball to them.

That being said, from the information I have received and I really don't know or can't say, but the concussion came of a play that wasn't an OL breakdown but rather either a rollout or scramble play.

I really believe our OL is going to get vastly better because of what they see in practice. They are going to see one of the best DE's in FCS (including the NDSU kid) in practice every week and a DL that is far from chump change. A line that is the equal of just about every team we play this year maybe for the exception of one or two.

If the OL isn't challenged in practice, especially in pass protection, then the coaches aren't doing their jobs. This isn't a condemnation of whether they are or not, but someone will most undoubtedly will take it that way, but rather this is what coaches line up against their #1 D for. To get game speed, full blow action.

I get the consternation, because we need JJ to be the man this year to get into the playoffs and do some damage. I saw enough improvement in the protection stuff from week 1 to 2 to suggest there will be continued improvement down the line. This week is a better indicator than last week to the progress the line makes.

But I see the coaches doing the right things in terms of protection schemes (max pro stuff) to help the OL gel and improve. So far I have seen very little hang the OL and JJ out to dry stuff (5 step drops) unless they have had to (3rd and long stuff).

Dude, I realize that you coach high school football, but you obviously were not in attendance at the Wyoming game. JJ was hit hard on 75% of his passing attempts. He was on his ass frequently. Not sure what play caused his concussion, but there were plenty of opportunities.

I also want to challenge your comments about our offensive line. Too many fans think you can just insert any of our linemen into a starting role, and they will gel into a solid line with experience. That is a crock! One of the biggest challenges for FCS level teams is to find QUALITY offensive linemen, after the FBS teams take who they want. Montana has always featured FBS quality O-linemen, but they were the exception for an FCS team. And, we only had 2-3 of them each year, not a roster full of them. To think that all 12-15 of our O-lineman are top FCS level linemen, and that we can just have any of them develop into great players is absurd. You don't lose your two all-conference bookend tackles a week before the season and replace them with under-sized, immature, no-experience kids who were way down on the depth cart. No amount of coaching can make them into who you want them to be.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:12 pm

You make these absolutely condescending comments sometimes...good lord man...

I don't know what my being a high school coach has to do with anything. I don't see anyone on here or on egriz ever making that a qualification or a lack of qualification for anything. Apparently you (generic you) can spout anything you want without relevance to accuracy or reality. I'm obviously stating an opinion you disagree with.

First, yeah JJ did get knocked around at Wyoming. I said the coaches didn't (which they didn't) do much deep set stuff and make the o-line block for four plus seconds. They are trying to manage the passing game. I see that. I haven't seen as much of the deep pocket stuff as much as we did at this time last year. That doesn't mean there isn't going to be run through or just straight whiffs on blocks.

Second, just because you or anyone else thinks this line is so epically terrible doesn't mean they can't improve. Maybe they aren't good, but I have a hard time making that judgement against a FBS team and a division II team. That is hardly the type of sample size that will allow for an accurate assessment.

I saw improvement. This is the O-Line we have. If they are lemons, the coaches would probably be best in making the best lemonade they possible can. Maybe Gragg isn't worth the money they pay him. I think this will be a better reflection of his coaching chops if there ever was one. There isn't a lot of experience, but if this line can improve and keep JJ off of his back then we probably should give credit where credit is due. But I am not going write their or JJ's epitaph before the last game is played.

This is probably the first fair test. Next week is obviously a much tougher one.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

growler

Postby growler » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 am

Grizfan-24 wrote:You make these absolutely condescending comments sometimes...good lord man...

I don't know what my being a high school coach has to do with anything. I don't see anyone on here or on egriz ever making that a qualification or a lack of qualification for anything. Apparently you (generic you) can spout anything you want without relevance to accuracy or reality. I'm obviously stating an opinion you disagree with.

First, yeah JJ did get knocked around at Wyoming. I said the coaches didn't (which they didn't) do much deep set stuff and make the o-line block for four plus seconds. They are trying to manage the passing game. I see that. I haven't seen as much of the deep pocket stuff as much as we did at this time last year. That doesn't mean there isn't going to be run through or just straight whiffs on blocks.

Second, just because you or anyone else thinks this line is so epically terrible doesn't mean they can't improve. Maybe they aren't good, but I have a hard time making that judgement against a FBS team and a division II team. That is hardly the type of sample size that will allow for an accurate assessment.

I saw improvement. This is the O-Line we have. If they are lemons, the coaches would probably be best in making the best lemonade they possible can. Maybe Gragg isn't worth the money they pay him. I think this will be a better reflection of his coaching chops if there ever was one. There isn't a lot of experience, but if this line can improve and keep JJ off of his back then we probably should give credit where credit is due. But I am not going write their or JJ's epitaph before the last game is played.

This is probably the first fair test. Next week is obviously a much tougher one.

There was nothing condescending about my post. I just disagreed with your O-line comments. Yeah yeah, you are going to tell me how improved they are based on the South Dakota game. But face the facts, South Dakota could not stop any running game last season, as thety ranked #9 in their 10-team conference stopping the run last season, and are possibly worse this season without Starr to clean up things at LB. Tell me how good they are after we play some quality defenses.

This is not a slam at their ability of our young linemen, it is merely the fact that they are immature, undersized, and in-experienced. 2-3 of them will probably develop into very good or even great players, but they should not be playing this year, and should be buried on the depth chart while they hit the weight room, and learn how to play O-line at the collegiate level. That is all I am saying.

grizbob

Postby grizbob » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:01 am

Good analysis 24... Growlie, just stop. Just............... Stop.

growler

Postby growler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:53 pm

grizbob wrote:Good analysis 24... Growlie, just stop. Just............... Stop.

Why would I ever expect a sugar-coating pedestrian fan to have a clue? :AR15:

grizbob

Postby grizbob » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:13 pm

growler wrote:

:yawn:

growler

Postby growler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:14 pm

grizbob wrote:
growler wrote:

:yawn:

I found a badminton message board which is more your speed. You'll fit in nicely.

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”