Sugar-Free South Dakota/Griz post-game analysis

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Sugar-Free South Dakota/Griz post-game analysis

Postby growler » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:45 am

First, let's be honest about the "quality' of our opponent. South Dakota is not a quality FCS team. They are ranked 8th of 10 teams pre-season in their conference. Their defense is a joke. They can not stop the running game. So, my friends, to laud our O-line as having "come of age" based on their performance against SD is ridiculous. We will see how good they are next week. Oh, and if I read about DOLA again, I am going to hurl. That is such B.S. Give me a kid who can EXECUTE, block the right player, recognize defenses, pick up the blitz, etc., instead of thinking that being a bad-ass is the key to solid O-line play. Wally may impress you with his little acronyms, but they don't mean squat.

We still have learned virtually nothing about our team yet, except that they are not playing well enough to beat any quality team at this point. Face the facts. Wyoming and South Dakota will be lucky to win a COMBINED 5 games between them this season. Next week, we will see what we have here, and I am betting it will not be pleasant to watch.

I just heard Sabin discuss how important special teams are, saying that they are just as important as either the offense or defense. He is correct, of course, which does not bode well for our special-ed special teams. They look like Jerry's kids out there!

Griz fans need to wake up and stop supporting our coaching staff. Call it like it is. They are absolutely the weakest staff we have ever had here, and are the worst in the Big Sky. Delaney is so far over his head. Kefense should try coaching defense (hey, I kinda like the way that rhymes), because he is clueless in calling plays, or designing an effective passing game. Lurch's O-line is doing a credible job for all of their losses of personnel. Any team who uses a hurry-up offense will school Gregorak's defense, because he waits too long to get the defensive signals to the players. South Dakota used the hurry-up once or twice early and you could see the confusion among our defenders, because they had not received the call from Gregorak. Do not understand why SD did not keep using it until the last drive, and you saw the results of that!

We are not even close to a top 10 team. To rank us #4 is a joke. We will be lucky if we make the playoffs.

We will not return to a dominating program until we get a new coaching staff. I think Green should be considered for the new head coaching position. He is certainly as qualified as Bobby Hauck was when he was hired, and I think he has the goods to be a great one. As a bonus, I think you would see our recruiting pick up too with him.

The sugar coating continues over at esugar.com with Wally, AZGrizfan, et. at., dumbing down the expectations for our program in their eternal quest to "remain positive". Facts are that this program is a shell of its former self, and will continue to plod along in medicocrity until a new staff arrives.

Nate Harris has emerged as a very much improved CB this season, and I really like the way he has played so far. Wags is a beast. Gamboa is playing very well too, as is Takai. Hermy has his moments, but continues to make poor decisions at times, which should not be happening since he has been a 4-year starter. I have to think that JJ is still not 100% from his concussion. He is just not himself out there. We should all know that Travon Van is by far our most dangerous weapon out there. Then why does he get so few touches? Find a way to get him the ball in space more effectively, Kefense! Jeeeeeez!
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

CV Griz Fan

Re: Sugar-Free South Dakota/Griz post-game analysis

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:35 pm

growler wrote:First, let's be honest about the "quality' of our opponent. South Dakota is not a quality FCS team. They are ranked 8th of 10 teams pre-season in their conference. Their defense is a joke. They can not stop the running game. So, my friends, to laud our O-line as having "come of age" based on their performance against SD is ridiculous. We will see how good they are next week. Oh, and if I read about DOLA again, I am going to hurl. That is such B.S. Give me a kid who can EXECUTE, block the right player, recognize defenses, pick up the blitz, etc., instead of thinking that being a bad-ass is the key to solid O-line play. Wally may impress you with his little acronyms, but they don't mean squat.

We still have learned virtually nothing about our team yet, except that they are not playing well enough to beat any quality team at this point. Face the facts. Wyoming and South Dakota will be lucky to win a COMBINED 5 games between them this season. Next week, we will see what we have here, and I am betting it will not be pleasant to watch.

I just heard Sabin discuss how important special teams are, saying that they are just as important as either the offense or defense. He is correct, of course, which does not bode well for our special-ed special teams. They look like Jerry's kids out there!

Griz fans need to wake up and stop supporting our coaching staff. Call it like it is. They are absolutely the weakest staff we have ever had here, and are the worst in the Big Sky. Delaney is so far over his head. Kefense should try coaching defense (hey, I kinda like the way that rhymes), because he is clueless in calling plays, or designing an effective passing game. Lurch's O-line is doing a credible job for all of their losses of personnel. Any team who uses a hurry-up offense will school Gregorak's defense, because he waits too long to get the defensive signals to the players. South Dakota used the hurry-up once or twice early and you could see the confusion among our defenders, because they had not received the call from Gregorak. Do not understand why SD did not keep using it until the last drive, and you saw the results of that!

We are not even close to a top 10 team. To rank us #4 is a joke. We will be lucky if we make the playoffs.

We will not return to a dominating program until we get a new coaching staff. I think Green should be considered for the new head coaching position. He is certainly as qualified as Bobby Hauck was when he was hired, and I think he has the goods to be a great one. As a bonus, I think you would see our recruiting pick up too with him.

The sugar coating continues over at esugar.com with Wally, AZGrizfan, et. at., dumbing down the expectations for our program in their eternal quest to "remain positive". Facts are that this program is a shell of its former self, and will continue to plod along in medicocrity until a new staff arrives.

Nate Harris has emerged as a very much improved CB this season, and I really like the way he has played so far. Wags is a beast. Gamboa is playing very well too, as is Takai. Hermy has his moments, but continues to make poor decisions at times, which should not be happening since he has been a 4-year starter. I have to think that JJ is still not 100% from his concussion. He is just not himself out there. We should all know that Travon Van is by far our most dangerous weapon out there. Then why does he get so few touches? Find a way to get him the ball in space more effectively, Kefense! Jeeeeeez!

This is just one of those seasons where the first four games of the schedule are tough to quantify things in terms of figuring out just where this Griz team is. A D1 team, a D2 team, a weak FCS team and a dominant FCS team. That's quite a mixed bag. This Griz team could suffer a horrible " beat down" in Fargo next week and still go 7-1 in conference IMO. Now will they? Who knows? It's really that up in the air at this point. Your points are totally valid however....

growler

Postby growler » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:51 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
growler wrote:First, let's be honest about the "quality' of our opponent. South Dakota is not a quality FCS team. They are ranked 8th of 10 teams pre-season in their conference. Their defense is a joke. They can not stop the running game. So, my friends, to laud our O-line as having "come of age" based on their performance against SD is ridiculous. We will see how good they are next week. Oh, and if I read about DOLA again, I am going to hurl. That is such B.S. Give me a kid who can EXECUTE, block the right player, recognize defenses, pick up the blitz, etc., instead of thinking that being a bad-ass is the key to solid O-line play. Wally may impress you with his little acronyms, but they don't mean squat.

This is just one of those seasons where the first four games of the schedule are tough to quantify things in terms of figuring out just where this Griz team is. A D1 team, a D2 team, a weak FCS team and a dominant FCS team. That's quite a mixed bag. This Griz team could suffer a horrible " beat down" in Fargo next week and still go 7-1 in conference IMO. Now will they? Who knows? It's really that up in the air at this point. Your points are totally valid however....

Yeah, I suppose it is possible that we could go 7-1 in conference. But I do not think it is likely. We will beat North Dakota, N. Colorado, and UC Davis for sure. We will lose for sure to Eastern Washington. I give us about a 10% chance in winning that game. The remaining games are toss-ups as far as I am concerned. Most probable win is against Southern Utah, in which we should be favored. But the rest of the games are going to be tough (Sac. State, Cal Poly, and MSU). So, we could go 7-1 at best, and 3-5 at worst.

The X-factor will be whether Jordy Johnson can stay healthy the entire season. If he goes down, everything changes. SSH can not close the deal against the tougher Big Sky teams.

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:29 pm

growler wrote:
CV Griz Fan wrote:

Yeah, I suppose it is possible that we could go 7-1 in conference. But I do not think it is likely. We will beat North Dakota, N. Colorado, and UC Davis for sure. We will lose for sure to Eastern Washington. I give us about a 10% chance in winning that game. The remaining games are toss-ups as far as I am concerned. Most probable win is against Southern Utah, in which we should be favored. But the rest of the games are going to be tough (Sac. State, Cal Poly, and MSU). So, we could go 7-1 at best, and 3-5 at worst.

The X-factor will be whether Jordy Johnson can stay healthy the entire season. If he goes down, everything changes. SSH can not close the deal against the tougher Big Sky teams.

I agree with you that beating EWU at home is a reach. The Griz just have to win out in conference other then that. No slip ups at SUU or Poly. Probably have to go undefeated at home this year.... The real pressure starts after the NDSU game ends .

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:46 am

Growler,

I think you should replace sugar free with arsenic laden.

I am pretty sure if you put me, you and Brint in front of the same television and watched the same griz game we are going to come up with decidedly different responses to plays.

In my honest opinion, I don't we know much more than we did when we started the season. I think you could say the same about NDSU to be honest. They played just as putrid FBS school in Iowa State, didn't play all that spectacular Weber team, and Incaranate Word. I watched bits and pieces of the Iowa State game, most of the Weber game and I was left not knowing anything.

I don't think we know much about EWU either. Sam Houston is dog poop obviously, Washington has a defense that is more porous than swiss cheese and Western Montana.

Here is what we know for certain at this point:

1. NDSU doesn't make mistakes, probably hasn't made one since the Bush administration.
2. No one can stop EWU, EWU doesn't stop anyone either.
3. Our FG kicking is just slightly north abjectly terrible. We need Kathy Ireland kicking field goals at this moment, with Scot Bakula holding kicks.

I am not going to offer platitudes, because the UM-SD game probably should have been 40 ish to low teens. Our bungling kicking game continues to cause problems. It is my opinion, but you can spend seven thousand hours on kicking and it is still a crap shoot sometimes. Every thing was done right on those three kicks and they still missed them. Greenberg basically whiffed (too early) on the first one, blocked (too late) the second and I won't get into detail on Liders klunker. Delaney wore some of the criticism over the summer based upon conversations I had, that he was done yanking around kickers which is one reason why Worst left.

For if we were to measure NDSU and the UofM by its one FCS game, I don't think anyone would be left overly confident as to their abilities to reach the post season. NDSU looked dis-interested for three quarters of that game and left WSU in the game way too long. At the same point this constant genuflecting towards EWU and NDSU is nauseating.

In my honest opinion this game is to be strength versus strength when it comes to NDSU's O and Griz D. I am not optimistic about the offenses chance for consistency. There is talent there to create problems for NDSU, but I do think their D-Line is going to be one hell of a test. I don't think it is a 90% chance win for NDSU. If the Griz win it sure as heck isn't going to be the upset of the century.

I don't think they blow us out and I think the game is in the 7-10 point margin. Much like the Wyoming game.

If the Griz lay an egg anywhere it is likely to be the EWU game. Not because of anything but no one over the past two years has proven with any success how to slow down EWU. The only way they slow down is when they inflict their own damage (ie Towson State).

Obviously we see things differently. I am just of the opinion our offense is going to be a work in progress and the D is going to have to carry it for a while. Way too many injuries at multiple positions. But I believe you are right as to special teams. The kicking game especially is going to cost us a game unless it is righted in a hurry. I don't think all of that lays at the feet of coaches, because kids have to execute when given the opportunity.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

#1GRIZ

Postby #1GRIZ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 am

:thumbsup:

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 am

Grizfan-24 wrote:Growler,

I think you should replace sugar free with arsenic laden.

I am pretty sure if you put me, you and Brint in front of the same television and watched the same griz game we are going to come up with decidedly different responses to plays.

In my honest opinion, I don't we know much more than we did when we started the season. I think you could say the same about NDSU to be honest. They played just as putrid FBS school in Iowa State, didn't play all that spectacular Weber team, and Incaranate Word. I watched bits and pieces of the Iowa State game, most of the Weber game and I was left not knowing anything.

I don't think we know much about EWU either. Sam Houston is dog poop obviously, Washington has a defense that is more porous than swiss cheese and Western Montana.

Here is what we know for certain at this point:

1. NDSU doesn't make mistakes, probably hasn't made one since the Bush administration.
2. No one can stop EWU, EWU doesn't stop anyone either.
3. Our FG kicking is just slightly north abjectly terrible. We need Kathy Ireland kicking field goals at this moment, with Scot Bakula holding kicks.

I am not going to offer platitudes, because the UM-SD game probably should have been 40 ish to low teens. Our bungling kicking game continues to cause problems. It is my opinion, but you can spend seven thousand hours on kicking and it is still a crap shoot sometimes. Every thing was done right on those three kicks and they still missed them. Greenberg basically whiffed (too early) on the first one, blocked (too late) the second and I won't get into detail on Liders klunker. Delaney wore some of the criticism over the summer based upon conversations I had, that he was done yanking around kickers which is one reason why Worst left.

For if we were to measure NDSU and the UofM by its one FCS game, I don't think anyone would be left overly confident as to their abilities to reach the post season. NDSU looked dis-interested for three quarters of that game and left WSU in the game way too long. At the same point this constant genuflecting towards EWU and NDSU is nauseating.

In my honest opinion this game is to be strength versus strength when it comes to NDSU's O and Griz D. I am not optimistic about the offenses chance for consistency. There is talent there to create problems for NDSU, but I do think their D-Line is going to be one hell of a test. I don't think it is a 90% chance win for NDSU. If the Griz win it sure as heck isn't going to be the upset of the century.

I don't think they blow us out and I think the game is in the 7-10 point margin. Much like the Wyoming game.

If the Griz lay an egg anywhere it is likely to be the EWU game. Not because of anything but no one over the past two years has proven with any success how to slow down EWU. The only way they slow down is when they inflict their own damage (ie Towson State).

Obviously we see things differently. I am just of the opinion our offense is going to be a work in progress and the D is going to have to carry it for a while. Way too many injuries at multiple positions. But I believe you are right as to special teams. The kicking game especially is going to cost us a game unless it is righted in a hurry. I don't think all of that lays at the feet of coaches, because kids have to execute when given the opportunity.

Good post 24. Differing opinions are what make these fan boards so much fun. I predict this will be more of a 17 point loss for the Griz. I'll say 27-10 or something close to that. First and foremost this is a road game against a traditionally difficult team to beat. This Griz team can't make any mistakes and expect to win IMO. But there are some interesting match ups to think about, both o-lines versus both d-lines, which team will be able to establish the run game?, and the QB play of both teams will all be important factors. I see this game being very similar to the Wyo game for the Griz except the Griz won't get the turnovers. Like Wyo, NDSU will be able to run the ball. Especially in the 2nd half. This will unfortunately wear the Griz D down in the end. In addition, JJ will have to have a big game to keep it close. I don't know if I see that happening given his recent outings. If the Griz do end up getting turnovers, then anything can happen......

G-Man

Postby G-Man » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Growler is an idiot, he has the same commentary every year, nothing changes it's the same old worn out cliches and vague indepth phrases. He wouldn't know football if he was tackled by a pee wee league team, he would get up and demand a yellow card then go knuckle deep in his ass on the way off the field. Why do people still react to his worn out shtick?

growler

Postby growler » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:58 pm

G-Man wrote:Growler is an idiot, he has the same commentary every year, nothing changes it's the same old worn out cliches and vague indepth phrases. He wouldn't know football if he was tackled by a pee wee league team, he would get up and demand a yellow card then go knuckle deep in his ass on the way off the field. Why do people still react to his worn out shtick?

Same commentary? You are a tool. We are all still waiting for your first post about Griz football, and you have been a member for 3 years. You are the epitome of DOLA (Dumbass On Lousy Analysis). Why don't you grow a pair and post under your real name. Weak sh*t from a mental midget. Oh, and I have forgotten more about football than you will ever know.

grizbob

Postby grizbob » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:54 am

Growlie hasn't quite figured out yet that years and years of being an absolute tool box has deafened out any logical football arguments. I am sure that Growlie knows a thing or two about football, but when you try and wrap football nuggets in a blanket of snobbery and douchyness people aren't going to hear anything but crap. Just sayin, now cue Growlies drivel filled response...

growler

Postby growler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 pm

grizbob wrote:Growlie hasn't quite figured out yet that years and years of being an absolute tool box has deafened out any logical football arguments. I am sure that Growlie knows a thing or two about football, but when you try and wrap football nuggets in a blanket of snobbery and douchyness people aren't going to hear anything but crap. Just sayin, now cue Growlies drivel filled response...

I don't participate in popularity contests like Wally et.al. I don't give a rip if the coaches know me. I talk straight football with other knowledgeable posters. Obviously you are not in this category, since you never post ANYTHING of relevance about Grizzly football. It's O.K. to be a pedestrian fan. Just don't come and try to play in my sandbox. Oh, and by the way, you are an assclown for even making your post. Stay out of topics which you know nothing about..... like football.

grizbob

Postby grizbob » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Aaaaannnnddddd you just made my point.

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”