#4 Montana @ #1 NDSU

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

Grizfan-24

Re: #4 Montana @ #1 NDSU

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:35 pm

First Possession of the Second half for the UofM:

Van stoned for a two yard loss...Then Van with a quick screen that goes for another five yard loss.

Welp...A punt...durr...not exactly what was chalked up...

First Possession for NDSU:

Crockett is a hard runner.

NDSU like in the first possession of the game, looking imposing some strength.

An inside cutback nets a large run for anotehr first down.

This is exactly NOT what needed to happen. Per the Wyoming game.

Had an opportunity to change the tempo...doesn't. NDSU straight power. Steamrolling the DLine in the first drive. Obviously a statement drive.

Crocket skips over a tackler...first down and goal from the 6. NDSU gets little on the first two plays. Takai with a good tackle. But 200 yards of rushing for NDSU. Expected that.

TD NDSU. Force Wentz out, but lost the enormous TE on the scramble.

This game is really on tilt if the Offense doesn't do something here.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Really wanted the offense to show something in this game and they have laid an absolute egg.

NDSU just so much more powerful up front and the defense just can't match the intensity and strength of NDSU. Really thought the defense would match up better.

Run game is non existent and NDSU just tackles better.

Johnson gets plastered. Really trying to get rid of the ball quicker but Emanuel is just better than anyone we have on the offensive line. This is where exactly the fears of that young offensive line comes into play. Poole would have been really nice to have today to match up with Emanuel.

Griz call a time out, 4 and short from the 35... Get the first down.

Henderson is hit on the sideline and has no way to protect himself...and hits head first. Close to being a bush play by their OLB.

Canada finally gets some space and gets...9 yards.

My issue with power plays on third down is that you can compress the defense as well. Canada sneeks through..for a first down. Lots of run through.

Putting together a nice drive with a mix of perimeter screens and stretch with some gut.

Johnson throws a pick. A jump ball that NDSU comes down with. Going on tilt. Got hit while throwing the FB. Needed points and doesn't get one.

NDSU... gonna absolutely grind this out. They don't make mistakes.

As alpha noted, the DL might be wasted... Wagenmann hasn't been a threat all day.

UofM has two or three possessions left...they need to score on all three..and NDSU can't score.

UofM gets a stop. The first punt of the game (:30 seconds) in the third quarter for NDSU.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:56 pm

I think our DL is wearing out their OL...........

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Canada with the last play of the third quarter gets the longest run for a running back in the game with a 20 yard run. Finally getting some running lanes. A 10 point deficit seems like 40.

This is why NDSU is so tough to beat. There were 4 total possessions in the third quarter.

If I had more time this week, I would have pointed this out, in watching the ISU game, I was floored at how physical the NDSU LB's and Safeties were. This game has pointed it out in spades.

Three penalty's on the same play...Resulted in off setting penalty's. Incomplete...

The Griz punt. The Griz don't have the line to take care of the front four pressure.

I honestly believe this, if the Griz offense had posted a bit better effort today, maybe there is a chance to stop NDSU in the 4th quarter.

NDSU with decent field possession with a mediocre punt by Shaw.
--Ron Burgandy

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Great play call by NDSU to open the drive. Just drove harris off and completed the under route. Then another bubble for another first down.

This is clinical. My beef right here is that it seems like they are willing to accept what NDSU is doing.

If the UofM wants to stop NDSU and have a chance...they have to pull out the stops. Right now there isn't a willingness or ability maybe to do so.

THe big plays in the game have come from Holmes and Takai.

There is going to be some flaming of gregorak and some of it is warranted... Finally sent some pressure. Wentz sort of spiked the pass.

Punt is out at the 3. 97 yards. Yikes.
--Ron Burgandy

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:29 pm

If you would have chalked up the game...

* I think you might have thought if the Griz give up 19 that they would have a chance. They do. But that pick in the endzone is looming very large. Field goal makes teh game 19-13 versus 19-10. That is a lot different.

NDSU is so physical they get away with a lot of stuff. The NDSU DB basically tackles jones and nothing is called. Over his back on a middle mesh route.

Yes NDSU has dominated this game in a lot of respects, but there is a tinge of that if they faced later in the year, Montana's offense if the line gels might have something for them. Right now, absolutely not.

NDSU's defense just has too many players in too many places. NDSU greatly limited any chance for Johnson getting comfortable in the pocket. Kudos to NDSU. They have shown why they have won 27 in a row.

Honestly, the defense has acquitted itself well for the position it was put in. Just can't allow NDSU to have a 10 to 15 minute advantage in TOP. Defense competed. Just doesn't have enough in the tank.

NDSU might run the clock out when getting the ball back at 8:30 left.

The Wyoming game is replaying itself.

Meanwhile...44-44 in bozeman. EWU's defense is putrid. I don't care how good they are...You aren't going to win a national title in giving up 40 points a game.

NDSU's offense executed when it needed to, and the Montana offense laid an absolute egg. Not playing calling but a vastly superior NDSU defense.

You just have to hope they can get some stuff figured out offensively in the next weeks. This is all theoretical, but if Montana can get its offensive house in order...tehy might be able to create some problems...as it stands right now...absolutely not.

Basically miracle time.
--Ron Burgandy

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Game/Set/Match...
--Ron Burgandy

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:If you would have chalked up the game...

* I think you might have thought if the Griz give up 19 that they would have a chance. They do. But that pick in the endzone is looming very large. Field goal makes teh game 19-13 versus 19-10. That is a lot different.

NDSU is so physical they get away with a lot of stuff. The NDSU DB basically tackles jones and nothing is called. Over his back on a middle mesh route.

Yes NDSU has dominated this game in a lot of respects, but there is a tinge of that if they faced later in the year, Montana's offense if the line gels might have something for them. Right now, absolutely not.

NDSU's defense just has too many players in too many places. NDSU greatly limited any chance for Johnson getting comfortable in the pocket. Kudos to NDSU. They have shown why they have won 27 in a row.

Honestly, the defense has acquitted itself well for the position it was put in. Just can't allow NDSU to have a 10 to 15 minute advantage in TOP. Defense competed. Just doesn't have enough in the tank.

Meanwhile...44-44 in bozeman. EWU's defense is putrid. I don't care how good they are...You aren't going to win a national title in giving up 40 points a game.

NDSU's offense executed when it needed to, and the Montana offense laid an absolute egg. Not playing calling but a vastly superior NDSU defense.

You just have to hope they can get some stuff figured out offensively in the next weeks. This is all theoretical, but if Montana can get its offensive house in order...tehy might be able to create some problems...as it stands right now...absolutely not.

Basically miracle time.

Dealing in the hypothetical isn't going to help anything. That 12 point win by NDSU might as well have been 21 points. The game stats didn't look good for the Griz. The Griz couldn't run the ball. NDSU ran with ease. The Griz could still go 7-1 in the BSC. We'll see.....

putter

Postby putter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:10 pm

could have gone either way. Griz D held them in the red zone yet JJ throws an INT in the endzone when he had Henderson - just late and high which would have made it a very interesting 19-17......I would love a rematch with a solid O

putter

Postby putter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Liked the offensive paycalling better in the 2nd half but, I hope, this will be a game to build off of. NDSU's DE was the best player Montana will see this year. I can't believe they did not protect JJ more on that side.

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:If you would have chalked up the game...

Basically miracle time.

24, why can't you admit that the design of our offense is flawed? Did you watch any of the MSU/EWU game? If you did, you would see what quality offenses are all about. Both teams use multiple formations, lots of mis-direction, pulling guards instead of freaking zone blocking on every play, throwing to backs on swing passes, throwing slants, using picks by the WRs and TE drag patterns, having a safety valve receiver to dump the ball to instead of taking the sack. Our offense does none of that! We are so plain vanilla and predictable that it is disgusting to watch. I'm sure you would not be happy with your high school team running such an offense.

It all starts with the ridiculous concept of having "dual O-coordinators". Give me a break.

Bottom line is this, we get out-coached on a weekly basis. Our staff is incapable of solid pre-game planning, nor making game-time adjustments. And, our offensive line is not going to "gel" in the coming weeks. They just do not have the physical ability, strength, or experience to do so. They will e serviceable against the many week opponents we will see in the next few weeks, making most fans think they are getting it together. But then they will get owned against a good defensive team. Just telling it like it is, minus the sugar.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”