Post Game Thoughts - NDSU

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

ALPHAGRIZ1

Post Game Thoughts - NDSU

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:48 pm

NDSU has played 4 games this season and has given up 0 points in the second half.

NDSU put up 447 total yards & 280 yards rushing on the best defense we have had in the last 5 years.

Wagenmann by my info had 2 tackles, not exactly dominating in a big game.

JJ 15 of 29 and an INT, not exactly dominating in a big game. He was EXTREMELY nervous and fidgety before this game and had bad body language on the sidelines after the game started well into the 1st qtr.

Did Van even play...................big time players show up in big games.

Gris defense grinded the entire game they were left on the field for 39 mins and the biggest play they gave up was 35 yards to Crockett. First team I have seen play the 4th qtr against NDSU and not wilt.

Overall the team came out and got punched in the face for the 1st half but didnt quit and fought back, first time in 2 years I have seen that mentality.

Sullivan should be the kicker for the rest of the year, he has the strongest leg and no he has some confidence when it comes to kicking FGs.

Griz have no identity and that starts at the top.

Griz are a 12-15 ranked team not #4

Dont kid yourself this game was never in question and was not even close.
Last edited by ALPHAGRIZ1 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

CV Griz Fan

Re: Post Game Thoughts - NDSU

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:20 pm

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:NDSU has played 4 games this season and has not given up 0 points in the second half.

NDSU put up 447 total yards & 280 yards rushing on the best defense we have had in the last 5 years.

JJ 15 of 29 and an INT, not exactly dominating in a big game. He was EXTREMELY nervous and fidgety before this game and had bad body language on the sidelines after the game started well into the 1st qtr.

Gris defense grinded the entire game they were left on the field for 39 mins and the biggest play they gave up was 35 yards to Crockett. First team I have seen play the 4th qtr against NDSU and not wilt.

Overall the team came out and got punched in the face for the 1st half but didnt quit and fought back, first time in 2 years I have seen that mentality.

Sullivan should be the kicker for the rest of the year, he has the strongest leg and no he has some confidence when it comes to kicking FGs.

Enough said. The game was never in question. It was a classic NDSU win. In terms of relevance, the 12 point victory might as well have been 21 points. I will say say that I am a little worried about the offense's performance in conference. We'll see...

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:35 am

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:NDSU has played 4 games this season and has not given up 0 points in the second half.

I agree with almost everything you stated, except that our defense is the best in five years. The final score could have been much worse than it was. NDSU played it very conservatively on offense, and kicked the FG every time when the could have gone for the 1st and probably made it most of the time. You, Alpha, are a big fan of NOT kicking the FG. But NDSU has a great kicker, and they could tell early that Montana could not score many points against them. so, they played it cozy.

Bottom line is, as you said, this game was never in doubt early, even though we were still technically "in it" at half time.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:13 pm

I really don't think the D could have played any better. 6 trips into the redzone, 1 td, 4 field goals, and a turnover on downs - can't ask for much more.

Moving to a more pro-set / power O has completely prohibits JJ's big play ability. Really surprised that the coaches didn't try to ease into the offensive style they like instead of just switching everything all at once. JJ does his best in a spread em' out offense where he can have space and do his thing.

Not surprised he's been fidgety. I'm pretty sure I'd get fidgety too after playing the last 6/8 games getting the ball, having "1-Mississippi" then having to run for my life.

When JJ had more than "1-Mississippi" to throw the ball, from what I remember, he did well. Getting whacked every other play though is clearly eroding his confidence - not in himself, but losing trust of the O-line to protect him.

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 pm

MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:I really don't think the D could have played any better. 6 trips into the redzone, 1 td, 4 field goals, and a turnover on downs - can't ask for much more.

Moving to a more pro-set / power O has completely prohibits JJ's big play ability. Really surprised that the coaches didn't try to ease into the offensive style they like instead of just switching everything all at once. JJ does his best in a spread em' out offense where he can have space and do his thing.

Not surprised he's been fidgety. I'm pretty sure I'd get fidgety too after playing the last 6/8 games getting the ball, having "1-Mississippi" then having to run for my life.

When JJ had more than "1-Mississippi" to throw the ball, from what I remember, he did well. Getting whacked every other play though is clearly eroding his confidence - not in himself, but losing trust of the O-line to protect him.

The chances of JJ making it through the season without being injured are very slim. I feel sorry for him. Our line is like an NAIA line.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

robsnotes4u

Postby robsnotes4u » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:45 pm

My take on the game and the Griz, about the same as the Weber game, except Weber had better stats.

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:36 pm

robsnotes4u wrote:My take on the game and the Griz, about the same as the Weber game, except Weber had better stats.

Don't tell PR that....

putter

Postby putter » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:07 pm

I agree as well. I think that the first time NDSU went for it on 4th down and were stopped it hit their coach in the face, Montana has a good D-Line. IMO, that one play set the tone for the rest of the game and the FG's. I don't rip on Wagenmann because they ran the ball and the staff held him out quite a bit to keep him rested. A speed rusher like him is not going to have a great game as he is not a run stopper. When NDSU passed he did get his chances and got to the QB but their O had him get rid of the ball so there were not many chances in that game. Proud of the D as I don't think any team in the nation could have been on the field against the Bison for 40 minutes and hold them to 0 rushing TD's and 1 total TD all game.

I agree with your assesment that when the Bison get a lead they just grind you out. They are not a team that has to win by 30 but if it happens it happens. They will take a 12 point win against Montana. I just pray that our offense gets hit by lightning (coaches included) and they can come up with a gameplan for the rest of the year. Delaney stated that Montana will be a classic team that runs the ball. They don't have the horses on the O-Line right now to do that this year.....

:beerchug: here's to adjustments.....

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”