Willy Pflug signing....

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

putter

Willy Pflug signing....

Postby putter » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 am

Well, now I am 100% confused. Willy sounds like a great athlete and I have not seen any information that Montana was recruiting him to play another position. So my question is.....why did the Griz recruit JJ #2? They are not running that offense and JJ is not being used to his strengths so Delaney signs his clone...... :?

Can somebody enlighten me? What am I missing?

MissoulaMarinerFan

Re: Willy Pflug signing....

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:59 am

Well, I believe one theory is just to sign bpa (best player available) - and then base your offense / defense around those characteristics - but it doesn't seem like our offense is really all that flexible in terms of what it can do - but, I'm probably just talking out of my ass anyway.

Cliff Notes version:

-- I got no clue.

grizpack

Postby grizpack » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:45 pm

I am curious how the Athletic Department can comment on the kid when he is still a high school senior. And what did he sign? It said a "financial aid agreement" and that he will be here this spring. Seems like that is similar to a NLOI.

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:17 pm

grizpack wrote:I am curious how the Athletic Department can comment on the kid when he is still a high school senior. And what did he sign? It said a "financial aid agreement" and that he will be here this spring. Seems like that is similar to a NLOI.

If any student gets FAFSA aid, they must sign an agreement to that FAFSA aid for a particular institution.

So, since he's signed his FAFSA financial aid agreement with the University of Montana, when his financial aid is released/payed out, it will be going toward tuition / payment at the University of Montana.

NLOI is the same thing, but student is signing a financial aid scholarship agreement with school rather than government FAFSA agreement.

I think.

info197176

Postby info197176 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:33 pm

MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:
grizpack wrote:I am curious how the Athletic Department can comment on the kid when he is still a high school senior. And what did he sign? It said a "financial aid agreement" and that he will be here this spring. Seems like that is similar to a NLOI.

If any student gets FAFSA aid, they must sign an agreement to that FAFSA aid for a particular institution.

So, since he's signed his FAFSA financial aid agreement with the University of Montana, when his financial aid is released/payed out, it will be going toward tuition / payment at the University of Montana.

NLOI is the same thing, but student is signing a financial aid scholarship agreement with school rather than government FAFSA agreement.

I think.

He is graduating from high school early and attending UM spring semester. As an early enrollee, he can participate in spring football practice.

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Boom. Mischief managed. :beerchug:

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Watching Pflugs videos, he "gets it" in high school. Very few HS QBs process information like he does. He is like JJ was at the end of his sophomore year...coming in.

The only question I have about the kid is if he's this good, and smart....why is he coming into this program? Glad he is but I just don't get why he would choose to come to the offense we have and have half his skill set cut off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:06 am

I have two prevailing theories and one is connected to some banter I heard back in August. I don't really trust it that much because it is probably just mindless banter...

1. If you look back to last year, there was a significant spread element to the passing game. Obviously more so than this year. We ran out of gun more. I was told that the loss of Poole and Schmaing really altered the depth and breadth of the offense. I don't really trust the theory, but it does make sense. The conversation continued on to that the offense was likely to include much more in the multiple offense category than true under center power. Because last year they did use more of JJ's skill set and this year obviously there hasn't been much.

Obviously with four new lineman essentially there was some stated concern about keeping JJ healthy. I really believe the offense is in bunker mode at this point. JJ has a dinged ankle and at least one concussion, and I think just from logic sake can see coaches wanting to simplify the blocking scheme and the route complexity to save JJ's life. That being said from what I heard in August there was going to be more Gun and spread look to the offense. Hard to know at that this point obviously because the current version obviously isn't anything close to that.

I just really believe we might want to throw out a lot of the offensive concept problems to a really bad year. Can't put it all on the OC but I don't think you put it on the injuires and other issues either.

2. I really do think the coaches do recruit the best available athlete, and I do think it is highly unlikely the MD finishes out WP's term as HC. Not saying that is for certain, but it would play into the theory of not leaving the cupboard bare.

I would also be careful of getting caught up in the type of a quarterback a kid is. Simis and Plfug aside from being great athletes at the QB position are also very competent throwing quarterbacks. I like to think of them of quarterbacks who happen also to be mobile. I think Pflug and Simis would succeed in any offense but some more than others obviously. Both Pflug and Simis are coaches on the field ala JJ. Both of them have high football IQ, and if I am recruiting QB's I think that characteristic is pretty damn high on my list.

Anyway, I applaud the coaches for going after the best talent available. I think they are wise enough to know what it looks like, and now it is their responsibility to mold it into the best college version they can get.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

putter

Postby putter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks for both points. To me Alpha's post is what we seem to be lacking this year. How to utilize your existing personnel to the fullest. Pflug may have been the best athlete but will he really thrive in Delaney's offense. You have seen the difference in JJ running Pflugrad's O and now Delaney's. Injuries aside it just seems like the old square peg, round hole.

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”