Perfect Coaching

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

ALPHAGRIZ1

Perfect Coaching

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:31 am

He tells them, "If you're being asked to do a drill and your coach can't tell you why you're doing it, then don't do it." He's an offensive guru without an offense. "That's right -- we don't have an offense," he says. He shrugs, a silent indictment of the professorial schemes and sets. "We have enough plays we can tailor to the skill level of our players, and they determine what our offense is. The way I look at it is, 'You're the guy I got, and I got to find something you can do.'" In a nod to the new defensive rules, he tells his defensive backs, "You want me to cut you? Then keep practicing penalties." He has 75-year-old coaching legend Tom Moore on his staff. Moore's official title is "offensive consultant," but his experience has earned him the additional role as unofficial sounding board for Arians' unfiltered reviews of players and coaches. "You need somebody you can bitch to," Arians says. "You can't have a young guy and bitch to him. He'll go home and tell his wife."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11704 ... thing-lose

Arians is a coach that gets it and that is why he is successful everywhere he goes.
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Grizfan-24

Re: Perfect Coaching

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:44 am

Great post...

I love Arians. As a long time Arizona Cardinals fan (I know), he is a absolute revelation in the valley. I like him because of his collective understanding on how to get an offense to succeed.

He has his things, like vertically stretching the field that he sticks to, but he'll put anything in the playbook that gets the most out of his players.

I think there are a lot of ways to look at offensive schemes.

Don Read had a scheme that made everyone better. The same could be said with Chip Kelly at Oregon.

The rest are offensive coordinators that spend time trying to adapt their personnel to the scheme. I believe that is the major fault of this years offense. I don't know what scheme or set of plays would make this offense more efficient. You need to adapt your scheme, whatever it is, to the players you do have. There are limitations to it.

I really don't think many offensive coordinators have that self edit in them. Or they tinker with what is successful in the illusion that tinkering somehow makes the offense better. Bill Walsh understood that concept, Chip Kelley walks a fine line, and guys like Bill Belicheck cross it a lot.

This is the perspective of a defensive guy. The less self edit they have the more unsuccessful they are. Also I coach at a level that simple is obviously better. In the end it takes a talented coach to know what plays work for a player. I just think a lot of offensive coaches look for how that player fits within a scheme (oh he's an H, Y, X, or even QB) rather than say hey this guy has vertical skills with a slot receiver body (John Brown of the Az Cards is an example).

I liken arians to a sommelier. He is just plain good at pairing things together.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:06 pm

I am a Cardinals fan as well.

I agree totally that a great OC adapts his scheme around his players strengths and not forcing players into positions that does not maximize their talent.
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:Great post...

I love Arians. As a long time Arizona Cardinals fan (I know), he is a absolute revelation in the valley. I like him because of his collective understanding on how to get an offense to succeed.

He has his things, like vertically stretching the field that he sticks to, but he'll put anything in the playbook that gets the most out of his players.

I think there are a lot of ways to look at offensive schemes.

Don Read had a scheme that made everyone better. The same could be said with Chip Kelly at Oregon.

The rest are offensive coordinators that spend time trying to adapt their personnel to the scheme. I believe that is the major fault of this years offense. I don't know what scheme or set of plays would make this offense more efficient. You need to adapt your scheme, whatever it is, to the players you do have. There are limitations to it.

I really don't think many offensive coordinators have that self edit in them. Or they tinker with what is successful in the illusion that tinkering somehow makes the offense better. Bill Walsh understood that concept, Chip Kelley walks a fine line, and guys like Bill Belicheck cross it a lot.

This is the perspective of a defensive guy. The less self edit they have the more unsuccessful they are. Also I coach at a level that simple is obviously better. In the end it takes a talented coach to know what plays work for a player. I just think a lot of offensive coaches look for how that player fits within a scheme (oh he's an H, Y, X, or even QB) rather than say hey this guy has vertical skills with a slot receiver body (John Brown of the Az Cards is an example).

I liken arians to a sommelier. He is just plain good at pairing things together.

24:
Great post. But never underestimate plain old good luck. For instance, would Trent Green have been able to run the "Greatest Show on Turf" as well as Kurt Warner? Probably not. The system
Employed by Mike Martz was good and probably would have succeeded with Green directing it, but
IMO, would never have attain the level of greatness that it did under Warner. Mike Martz is considered an offensive genius now. But a few players are partially responsible.

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”