Playoff Observations

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

Grizfan-24

Playoff Observations

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:48 pm

#1. Feel the Montana seed is appropriate considering the results of the schedule. Really didn't have a bad loss on the schedule. Playing USD at home in the first week is about as favorable of a matchup as the Griz could have wanted.

#2. My top 8 teams in the country:

1. NDSU
2. New Hampshire
3. Eastern
4. Illinois State
5. Villanova
6. Coastal Carolina
7. Northern Iowa
8. James Madison

Not in the top 8...Jacksonville State and Chattanooga. I could see Indiana State or Eastern Kentucky in the Semi's. The same might be of Sam Houston. I could be wrong, but ...
#3 Please dispense with the regional brackets. Good heavens. I get it for first round matchups but pairing them to second round regional stuff just unbalances the bracket. Moreover, they allowed a 5 loss team into the tournament in Indiana State, even though they come from the best conference... Playing your conference in the second round is really no different than the first.
#4 If you are going to use a simple ranking system, then use it or come up with something else. That point was made by a number of otehr people far smarter than I yesterday. The criteria is all over the map for how they placed and put teams in the bracket.
#5. 24 might be too many. Just because of the forced regionalization and the lack of quality choices outside the MVC.

I think New Hampshire and NDSU walk to the Semis.
I think the quadrant Montana is in is a crap shoot. Any of three or four teams could come out of that (Eastern, UofM, UNI, and maybe SFA).
I think Villanova or JMU emerges out of the other.

Eastern has the advantage of resting a week, but at the same point facing Montana in the second round isn't the most ideal matchup. Most recognize that the difference between Eastern and the UofM isn't as far as it would seem. Eastern still has the advantage, but I have to think they didn't get the best draw.

There could be some strange stuff in that top half of the bracket. If UofM gets by EWU per chance, they have a decent chance of doing some damage.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

marceagfan5

Re: Playoff Observations

Postby marceagfan5 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:52 pm

From the looks of it, the bottom half of the bracket is NDSU's to lose. They won't be tested until the semi's and even then shouldn't have an issue. They will walk to the semi's and probably face Villanova.

I would say the #3 seed has the toughest draw of any of the top 4 seeds. They face the winner of the southland matchup and probably get Villanova in the Qtrs, thats brutal.

UNH got what the 1 seed deserves, an easy draw to the semi's. Not sure UNH is deserving of the 1 seed but it is what it is.

The EWU/Montana bracket could be a good one. The Griz will smoke USD so it should be a 2nd round EWU/UM and UNI/Ill St matchup. Both rematches from this year. The EWU/UM game in Cheney will be a good one. Eastern will be rested and have Adams and Forte at 100% this time, but the Griz will be able to gameplan for Adams and company a bit more since they faced them a couple weeks back. I would take both home teams in the game, but they should be good games. I think whoever makes it out of this quadrant makes it to Frisco to face the Bison.

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 am

Its weird but I dont even care that we are playing San Diego this coming weekend.

I want to be excited and go to the game but I am not going to go. Hopefully the new coaching staff can fix some of this, give me hope things are changing and a reason to keep going to games.

The last decade and the decisions UM has made has chipped away at me. I started my rebellion buy not renewing my season tickets, then I stopped donating money, the crime and bad headlines kept going so I reduced the home games I attended and spent no money at the games or the UM bookstore. This last season I have attended 2 home games and 4 away games, the least amount of games I have been apart of since 1992.

I hope Haslam understands that I am not the only one that has been alienated by UM and that there are quite a few like me out there. I used to attend games with 7 of my closest friends and now I am the only one that goes to any games. My sister and her family are the same way they do not travel to games anymore because of the shitstorm since Hauck was here.

I want to believe in Haslam and his ability to hire a coach that puts and exciting product on the field and keeps our athletes grades up and players out of the newspapers and police reports.

I am actually looking forward to the NDSU cat game if the cats can somehow beat SDSU at home.

That sucks.
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:34 pm

Alpha,

I don't disagree. This is what happens when you pander, pander and then pander some more. Run off a lot of people that have supported the program since the Dornblaser days.

I'll be attending the USD game, mostly because I haven't been to a UofM home game since 2005 and happen to be in Missoula for Thanksgiving.

Why would you be excited about playing San Diego anyway. They aren't a known FCS power, from a non-scholarship league and have the follow of a mediocre high school team. Not exactly a pack em in team or environment.

A new coach might help with some of the issues, but some of the others are things the Athletic Department needs to address. Cost, Conference Structure and so forth.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Well now knowing that GF24 will be in the house would be a reason to go over.............

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:21 am

Looks like a lot of people share the sentiment, as it seems to be a crowd of 15,000 or so for Saturday. Thanksgiving weekend games are typically lowly attended but this might be the lowest of the low. San Diego doesn't help, that is for sure.
--Ron Burgandy

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:01 am

I'll provide some points of observation, provided I don't get swept away in the rain...

My guess is the game is a mid 30's result for the Griz. I gotta feeling USD struggles to score.

Could be sloppy. That is the only thing that makes me nervous.
--Ron Burgandy

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:04 am

This may sound bad, but I have zero confidence in our coaching staff. I'm worried that the "state" game was just an anomaly and "win one for the gipper." I wouldn't be surprised if they went with "playing not to lose," and get bounced, if not here, then against ewu.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:06 am

Doesnt sound bad....................sounds accurate.

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”