New Griz Football Coach

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

ALPHAGRIZ1

Re: New Griz Football Coach

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:57 am

The number one thing I like about Stitt is his offense DICTATES the flow of the game and the defense has to deal with that. I never understood why the offense has to let the defense tell them what play they are going to run. In my mind it should be the other way around.

I love all the worry by the idiots on other boards to, "why has he been at school of mines for 20 years and never gone anywhere"? Maybe he just likes his job there dealing with smart kinds and not dealing with crime and heavy handed boosters. Not everyone is concerned about money, how much is enough?

"Im worried abut an offensive minded head coach that neglects the defense". Why, if a HC is a good head coach he hires a DC for that and gets out of his way. Smart guys hire good help and let them do their job without meddling. A good head coach is a decision maker not a babysitter. There is a difference between micromanaging and making sure every angle and detail is covered.

I have always been in the Pease corner on this coaching hire, but I am finding myself wanting Stitt for many reasons that are not football related. First Griz nation would lose their mind if a good ole boy isnt hired, they put their personal comfort ahead of a good hire. I would love the big boosters to have to work on new relationships instead of controlling the scene like they have for years. I would love to see how our "fans" respond to a season or two of getting the right people in place to make a new offense work. (I dont think it would take that long but would be fine if it did, Rome wasnt built in a day) I do know one thing, Stitt is about putting players in position to succeed and I would be totally shocked if the offensive EXECUTION didnt go through the roof in the next few years.

It doesnt matter what type of play is called, if you EXECUTE it properly you should gain positive yardage. Great offenses are built on EXECUTION and consistency, not play calling.
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Robgriz

Postby Robgriz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Agree with everything you said AG1. But I would be surprised if it took him very long to achieve success installing his offense. Many of the kids that we recruit have played in a spread option/zone read through high school so it shouldn't be much of a learning curve.

Griz5700

Postby Griz5700 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Stitts is probably my first choice. But not without serious hesitation that's for sure. Have watched some Stitts interviews and I love the guy. Knows his shit and is very sharp. But I watch his offense, and I guess I don't see it, I see a lot of gimmick.

Bottom line is if we want to make playoff runs we have to be able to run the ball and protect the qb. When you hope to play home playoff games in Montana, in December, you need a solid o-line to be your anchor. I'm all for innovation and spreading the ball around, but most importantly, I want UM to freaking dominate the LOS. That is the staple of Montana football in my opinion.

Every coach acknowledges the importance of their o-lines but they don't all make it a priority. It has to be a priority for UM. Just look at what Fargo has accomplished with that mentality. That is an offense that doesn't allow the defense to dictate their plan. They run it right at you! That used to be us.... minus the championships.

My gripe with Mick is that he wanted this, but didn't truly commit to it. Nor did he play to the strengths of that offense, which was JJ. Terrible move to ditch the zone-read. That scheme was going places. Pflu was building great lines contrary to what most believe. If Mick would have stepped back and let the system flourish, he'd still be coaching. He wanted to be a run-dominated, "pro style" (ha) offense with a very weak offensive line. Have to be able to adjust and think outside the box while still maintaining continuity in your system. I think Stitts does that, but I see some stubbornness which probably keeps him in Colorado.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Griz5700 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 pm

No different than the "stubborn-ness" of big game Bob, or when Pflu first took over forcing the spread concept on a buncha pro-style "ground and pound" type lineman. I think it is a flaw of just about any coach.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

Griz5700

Postby Griz5700 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Yeah. Kinda got off track there. But if a coach doesn't commit to having dominate o-lines, they won't last long at UM.

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I agree, 5700, all I'm arguing is "play the hand you're dealt." if you happen to end up with an o-line that are pretty good pass blockers and "meh" run-blockers, you aren't gonna run over everybody, so why go "power?"

If you've recruited and hve 3/4 dominant run-blockers, why move to a more pass oriented offense.

Any team lives and dies with a solid OL, yet that team should also play to their strengths as well.

Griz5700

Postby Griz5700 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Agreed.

Right, every team says that... But we are Montana. We DO that.

We don't best App State in 09 without a running game and strong line play. Again, I'm all for spreading it around and getting the ball in playmakers hands. But don't ignore December playoff weather. You're a Hawks fan, you should know this! ;)

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:51 pm

No. We did that during the "Bobby Ball" era. There was no "3 yards and a cloud of dust" during "Air Bear" nor did we do that during the 2011 Plfu season when we were rolling people.... hell, I'd argue that we didn't really focus on running the ball (at least post "Air Bear" era) all that much until "Irish Joe" Glenn got here.

Yes, you still gotta run the ball well to win (see the UNI playoff victory in 2011), but if you have guys that are more geared for the spread, then you should run outta the spread, not a damn "power-I" and when you have "power" type lineman, you sure as shit shouldn't make them primarily use zone blocking.

But, that being said, as we both have stated, coaches are often too damn stubborn for their own good.

Griz5700

Postby Griz5700 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Air Bear would get destroyed today just like it did in 96. Loved those teams but it's a chicken shit offense. Especially at Montana.

GRIZNATION

Postby GRIZNATION » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:48 pm

When did it get destroyed in 96?

That was one of the highest offensive statistical years in Griz football history. BTW it was Pease who was the OC just like he "wasnt" the year before when we won it all.
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

grizcountry420

Re:

Postby grizcountry420 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:59 am

Griz5700 wrote:Air Bear would get destroyed today just like it did in 96. Loved those teams but it's a chicken shit offense. Especially at Montana.

:loco:
"I am a football analyst who can predict future success, or lack of it, based upon watching the game unfold."
-Growler

Griz5700

Postby Griz5700 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:31 pm

My bad. Shouldn't have said that. That 96 team was the best Griz team ever. I guess I get annoyed with the group of fans who are so concerned about having an "entertaining offense", rather than doing whatever it takes to build championship teams again. I hear 'Air bear" and I just laugh. We had some great offenses in 90's, but I've moved on.

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm

I guess I kinda see both sides 5700. We won a National Championship throwing the ball all over, and won a National Championship with a dominating run game with Irish Joe Glenn.

Bobby Ball went 0-3 in national championships.

Pflu Season never made the chipper,but was here only 3 years. Bobby Ball didn't get to the chipper until years 4 (?), 5, and 7 - and he lost all of 'em.

Why can't you have a solid oline, and run the ball some, throw the ball some, and still kick the crap out of people? :naughty:

MissoulaMarinerFan

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Note, I could be way off on my Bobby Ball chipper appearances. Sorry.

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:14 pm

MissoulaMarinerFan wrote:Note, I could be way off on my Bobby Ball chipper appearances. Sorry.

It was years 2, 6, and 7
Have no fear, sugar is here!

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”