2015 Griz Problem Areas

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

GRIZNATION

2015 Griz Problem Areas

Postby GRIZNATION » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:44 am

This incoming Griz team is one of the most uncertain we have had in years when it comes to a position by position analysis. LB is the one area that we have a core group and some pretty good players behind them for depth. I would say that WR would be the next group that is pretty good and could be great if Henderson comes back. DL is about middle ground we should be ok but could be disappointed if we get no play at DE.

That is the good now lets us discuss the bad.

OL - This is the one area that is completely up in the air and definitely the weakest point on this team by far. We have little depth and marginal talent, this is a recipe for disaster. Last year showed us just how far the Griz have fallen, with the single worst OL in the last 20 years. This year we added Villanueva and should get Schmaing back so we get some size back. Reese, Luke and Weyer are the only returning players with some upside and ability to get better. Adding Hart and Villanueva was huge. The rest are just players that seem to have hit a wall talent wise and will just have to get in the way and try to make something out of nothing. If this years OL does not gel and provide a serviceable line we are going to have a very long year. New QB, new scheme and new players all take some time to get used to but if they do not have time on the field it will be very easy for players and fans to become frustrated and upset over the results. It is imperative that the OL gets back to being one of the strong points on our team year after year. Personally I am worried that we have average talent and size to really compete in the BSC.

RB - Another position that is very worrisome. We have very little returning talent and the one guy that is proven is coming off an injury. (Counts) Nguyen is what he is and will probably fill a position in the rotation because we don't have any proven depth. Logwood is interesting and he has a higher ceiling to continue to build on but once again unproven. Favors seems to have talent but nobody has seen it yet so it is still on paper and he needs to turn it up a notch and make himself noticed. Calhoun is the one that can make some noise this spring, he has talent and huge upside. The transition between high school and college is huge and it would be wise to redshirt him but we really have no other options since the skill level at RB is low. Somebody needs to step up this year.

DL - We have some returning players with experience (Peevey, Holmes, Crittenden) and getting Kidder back will help but we need depth and some push from our DE position. Holmes has not taken it to the next level and is far from who I thought he would be when he came on as a frosh phenom. He is good but I was thinking he would be one of the great ones and he just hasnt stepped up. Where do we go if a guy or two goes down? We have some size with Ena but he is unproven at this level, he should be good but he needs to get in the weight room.

CB - Has the potential to see something we haven't in 4 years, a pair of decent players that can play with the talent in the BSC. Harris, Nelson, Mckinley, & Sanders we should be able to make a pair of CB's that can be put on an island from time to time and finally contribute to the defense instead of keeping us in our base or zone to cover their weakness. My guess is Sanders and Harris will start.

S - is another big question mark. Whitted is has been on the field but he has shown his deficiencies in covering and helping with the run game. He is a hitter though and we can hope he improves on the other things with a year under his belt. Epperly, Rasmussen have talent and could add to another problem area. Talent is so weak and unproven here a guy like Sandry could walk in a take playing time. Personally I am not expecting much safety play this year.

ST - This is the 5th year in a row we go into a season concerned about our special teams. The only constant has been Shaw punting the ball. He has a slow delivery and is coming back from a knee injury. If he can speed it up a bit, we know what he can do. Other teams key on the time it takes for him to kick the ball and the success they have had in the past blocking his punts. this needs to be corrected. Sullivan and Greenberg will probably be the guys fighting for the kicking duties. I would say the edge goes to Sullivan because of leg strength and he seemed to get in a rhythm at times last season. We need more speed and talent on KO coverage, Schye seems to have a knack for getting to the ball on special team and he is a good place to start we just need others like him to step up and contribute. PR has been a glaring hole since forever, it needs to stop and stop now. Put a guy back there that can field punts and be productive after the catches the ball. We also need a guy that makes the proper decisions on fielding a punt or not fielding one, if he doesn't know this information then the ST coach better get this corrected this year.

QB - Lots of players, none of them proven, would have to give the edge to Simis, Prator or Pflug as far as talent then Chalich, Weyer and Gus. It should be a serviceable position when all is said and done but we need an OL to help them out. It is anybodies guess as who will be the starter, I bet Stitt has an idea but needs to see them live and assess talent.
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

Grizfan-24

Re: 2015 Griz Problem Areas

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:36 pm

In regards to the OL, I will say this...

1. If Germer and Stitt can get them to buy into the concepts (zone scheme, quick set pass protection) this scheme has the opportunity to alleviate a lot of the problems that last years offensive line faced.

2. They will face defenses that will be forced to handle two concepts that are key in aiding the offensive line. First, because of pace of play it will be difficult by design to create the type of exotic blitz concepts that would cause pass protection break downs. Moreover, you better bring the water jugs and the oxygen because the pace fatigues and slows down defenses. Second because of scheme, the blitz concepts become much more predictable.

3. If this offense is giving up sacks, then it is entirely on the QB. The key in this offense is to find your matchup, pick it and release the football. The goal isn't to find late breaking routes in the deep secondary but rather positional matchups early in routes that advantage the offense. Notice the most CSM QB's don't take many sacks or throw picks.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

putter

Postby putter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:In regards to the OL, I will say this...

1. If Germer and Stitt can get them to buy into the concepts (zone scheme, quick set pass protection) this scheme has the opportunity to alleviate a lot of the problems that last years offensive line faced.

2. They will face defenses that will be forced to handle two concepts that are key in aiding the offensive line. First, because of pace of play it will be difficult by design to create the type of exotic blitz concepts that would cause pass protection break downs. Moreover, you better bring the water jugs and the oxygen because the pace fatigues and slows down defenses. Second because of scheme, the blitz concepts become much more predictable.

3. If this offense is giving up sacks, then it is entirely on the QB. The key in this offense is to find your matchup, pick it and release the football. The goal isn't to find late breaking routes in the deep secondary but rather positional matchups early in routes that advantage the offense. Notice the most CSM QB's don't take many sacks or throw picks.

This was the hallmark of last years offense. IMO they never adjusted the play calling to the personnel we have. Stitt seems like a coach who will play the kids who best fit the system

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

I happen to love power run game and offenses. However, last years squad both in makeup and play calling concepts really limited the effectiveness of it. JJ loved to press the football down the field, and because of the route concepts that became on many occasions became the only option. Last years offense couldn't impose its will in the run game, and as a result couldn't get 1v1 matchups in the deep secondary that it enjoyed the year before. Part of that was entirely due to the depleted offensive line but as well as the lack of vertical threat in the passing game.

The scheme that Delaney wanted to use absolutely needed offensive lineman that were capable of imposing their will, even when the defense knew what was coming. If you look at passing trees of many power run programs, there are a lot of 15-20 yard post,corners, or double moves. I truly believe with all the injuries, even at the college level, it is very difficult even for the most gifted offensive coordinators for a team to truly change its stripes mid stream.

If a person were to portend what is likely to happen in Spring and Fall camp, I think you'll see a rapid improvement from the offensive line because you'll have an online with better blocking advantages than the ones they enjoyed last year. Truly DOLA might look a bit different in that its effectiveness isn't going to be in "Im gonna kick your ass" but in 'have fun vomiting as a I continually run by you.'

I don't know that this line isn't talented, but rather last years offense probably didn't suit it very well. This is an offensive linemans dream in a way, and I think you'll see that as early as the spring.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

G-BEARS

Postby G-BEARS » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:In regards to the OL, I will say this...

Great point, stupid to be looking in the past, but I can only imagine that JJ would have really really excelled in Stitt's offense with his intelligence. I think Van would have had an excellent year with Stitt too, with the positional matchups he would have exploited. Great football talk going on on this board, wish more would post here :thumbsup:

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:39 pm

We are fine with the people that post here, the last thing we need is some of the idiots coming over here from other sites and fucking up the Xs and Os

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”