Spring ball

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

grizteria

Spring ball

Postby grizteria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:47 pm

What do we expect from spring practice this year? What players will make a showing and step up to lead the team? Grizfan24 what do you expect to see this spring?

Grizfan-24

Re: Spring ball

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 am

I have heard basic concepts conversation a ton, yet based upon what I know about Stitt (which is limited) is that I have no doubt that much of the offense could be installed during spring.

Part of the issue as I understand it and have seen first hand is getting the receivers on the same page. The receivers absolutely need to know man versus zone coverage, and the several passing trees that exist on each play call.

If I were to make a guess is that Simis enters spring drills with a small advantage. I truly believe he is the smartest of the returning quarterbacks. I think Chalich is capable of making all the throws and then some, he has a good arm, but I wonder how he'll do with the reads in his hands.

There is such a high premium in this offense about being quick and decisive with the football in your hand. What is going to differentiate the quarterbacks really is their ability to get the ball to the right side of the field. I'll write a blog about this, because while this offense is pretty simple from the stick/snag concepts but there is a target and a place where the football needs to go. This is where quarterbacks with an innate ability to understand coverages and what the defense is trying to do is going to be huge.

I think you are going to see Swett and Ferriter spending a lot of time in the film room (if you could see that) and then getting the receivers in a position to see what their route tree should look like based upon their target in practice. I think our quarterbacks are fine, the question is whether the receivers evolve from static route running under Gragg/Hynson to the dynamic route running under Stitt. You'll see receivers run by their grass, cover themselves up, and miss read a coverage.

The nice thing about this system though is there is an outlet for the QB. Mostly backs, but the QB needs to get rid of the football and needs to know where that outlet is (sometimes opposite side of the field) and not take sacks.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

BWahlberg

Re: Spring ball

Postby BWahlberg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:06 pm

In his initial press conference Stitt said that the whole offense will be installed this spring.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”