Summary of first Griz/Cat Tussle

Ballin it up, Ball The Time - Post It Up Or Shoot From Downtown.

Moderator: MINI14GB

MissoulaMarinerFan

Summary of first Griz/Cat Tussle

Postby MissoulaMarinerFan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Well, for those who may look at the B-ball portion of the board, here's my thoughts from last nights Griz victory:

So, here's my thoughts from watching the game on TV. Please note that this won't have the GF-24/growler1 panache:

* Kudos to the Cats - they shot lights out, and made tough shots all game. Everytime we came back on a run, they had an answer.

* Our D was solid all night. Part of it was Cats using more clock, but the other part was our D not giving easy open looks/paths to the basket very often all night.

* I honestly believed when the Cats went up by 3(4?) with under a minute left, and we immediately gave them the ball back on offense, I figured that was it. Kudos to the guys for not giving up and playing tough the whole game

* I think Tinks likes having a more traditional 5 just on principle, and that is the kind of O he is most comfortable running. However, Hutch sat the whole 2nd half, and this may be the signal that Tinks is reluctantly saying "look - we're gonna have to go small, and kick-butt with it because that's what we have"

* I'm no b-ball expert, but I think Hutch's biggest problem is he has hands of concrete. Even when rebounding half the time, he bobbles the hell out of the ball. When he does catch it (the ball) on offense, he's like a dog that chases a car - he doesn't know what to do with it once he's got it, because he rarely catches the damn thing cleanly.

* Weisner is clutch as hell. Yeah, maybe he was sitting because he wasn't as focused on D as he needed to be, but he seems to come up huge everytime we have no answer on offense (what game was it last year when he turned the game for us? In like 90 seconds of play, he had a couple steals, a block, and like 6 points).

* Jamar was excellent - he went cold late for a bit

* The free throw bug appears to have cropped up again, but it was nice seeing Gregory calmly nail a couple when everyone else was clanking them. I honestly think Cherry's issue this game was that he was letting his shooting elbow fly open again when shooting free throws. His last 2/3 he nailed, and he kept his elbow tucked.

* Lastly I don't think Cherry quite has his feel for the game back yet. Last year, he knew exactly when to push it or slow it down on offense and when he needed to bring the O or just become a distributor. That was his biggest advantage last year in my opinion. Hopefully as he gets his feet wet more he'll get his feel back for the flow of the game.

* Ok. Seriously, this is the last one - DeShields steal, ball-fake, and lay-up was beautiful. I don't think he makes that play last year. It shows how much he's grown as a player. First, stole the ball, started to push it, then broke into the clear with a beautiful behind the back dribble, then attacked the defender, and cleared him with a saavy ball fake rather than trying to just go through and hope for the foul, or pass to the player the defender was looking to. Finally, stayed controlled all the way through to the finish for the easy bucket. Maybe the play of the night outside Weisner's 3.

--Sorry for rambling. Hopefully all that makes sense! I guess I had more to talk about than I thought! :beerchug:

Grizfan-24

Re: Summary of first Griz/Cat Tussle

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 am

MMF:

I agree. Good points.

A couple of observations from my end. I was going to write a blog on this but frankly I haven't been motivated to be in front of a computer since saturday night, so much of what I remember about it is now gone...

*I thought it was an interesting choice to pull Will off the floor for about two minutes in the last 5 minutes of the game. I think personally at times the offense runs better with Will off the floor. To me, and this is just my opinion, I believe will is pressing in a way that I haven't seen him do before. In years past he was really good at letting the game coming to him and he just seems to force and force and force situations and isn't finding much success.

* As much as people rail on Mathias Ward's around the basket maneuvers, he is amazingly efficient when he gets touches down low. I know the feels the necessity to pump and fake and rarely takes the ball to the hoop hard, but I truly think that is a result of him playing as the 'undersized' center most of the time. He is a face up post player. I don't think you can force a square peg into a round hole. His skills are facing the basket and using his athletic ability. I don't think we are going to see Kevin McHale post moves out of the guy.

* MSU made the defensive end of the floor nearly impossible to deploy Martin and Hutchison effectively. Even in the zone, MSU's over load spacing made it difficult to use what height we had on the bench. Neither Martin nor Hutch are laterally quick enough to handle the offensive style that MSU deployed. Kudo's to Huse in taking what he has which is a rabbit style basketball team with a good amount of athletic ability and taking the Griz out of what they like to do on the defensive end. They got ton of good looks near the basket.

* The interesting thing about the Griz going small, is that their offense system at time suggests what MMF was suggesting is that Tinkles offenses seem to want that number 5 big in the game. With all the athletic ability that Tinks can put on the floor, I would think we might see some wider spacing and quicker motion offense to take advantage of our guard and forward corps excellent athletic ability.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Basketball”